View Single Post
Old 01-20-2011, 03:56 PM
wraez

Originally Posted by Nolee
Originally Posted by wraez
For future reference when making a string quilt like this, consider using the 'self-sashed' method of putting a 2inch strip of the same fabric down each center of fabric diagonally. When you put the blocks together that diagonal fabric creates an on-point 'sashing'.
Ok, now that I have the squares done, because of the foundation, I have double thickness of fabric. I'm not having a problem sewing the blocks together, but will this cause a problem when I quilt it or does it just make it doubly warm?
Sorry, I might be confusing you, the directions are for starting a new quilt, not the one you have already made... let me start again. Use cheap muslin or ugly fabric you have on hand ( put the ugly fabric wrong side up so that any pattern or darker color won't show thru to lighter fabric strips you are using) to make your foundation blocks. Then with 2inch strip of fabric width of fabric (black for instance) and center it diagonally down your foundation (does not have to be measured, just eye-ball it). Sew one edge, less than 1/4 inch, all the way down and continue adding foundation blocks ... this makes it fast and easy. Then grab a 'string' and place it right sides together with the sewn edge of black fabric, sew using 1/4 in (could be less but make sure your first sewn line doesn't show), flip it down add another string and continue to corner. Repeat process on other side without having to stitch the edge of black to foundation cuz the other side will have it secure.

The black fabric (or color of your choice) will create the on-point sashing when you put your finished blocks together.

You probably already know about the placement of strings, and I am not the best at giving written instruction online, but someone else who has never made a string quilt might want to know how to do it.

I hope that makes sense. If not, we can try it again, LOL

warm quilt hugs, sue in CA