Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 114

Thread: Width of Sashing

  1. #1
    Super Member Nolee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chili, New York (Rochester)
    Posts
    1,146
    I am almost done with my striped quilt, first try. It needs to be twin size. Is there any advice on how wide to make the sashing between blocks so that it doesn't look just like I am trying to make it bigger by using sashing? I want it to be a reasonable amount but don't want to go overboard. Also, should sashing be dark if most of the strips are dark or of your choosing or what? Print, solid? Ideas needed. The blocks are just pinned to my flannel wall; I have yet to sort them on where they should go.

    Mish Mash Blocks
    Name:  Attachment-163551.jpe
Views: 580
Size:  64.3 KB

  2. #2
    Cyn
    Cyn is offline
    Super Member Cyn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Jacksonville NC
    Posts
    6,761
    Blog Entries
    17
    Just my thought but I'd probably just use around 2 inch sashings and I'd go dark like maybe black. I'm no expert tho!

  3. #3
    Senior Member 1barron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Salisbury, MO
    Posts
    380
    Quote Originally Posted by Nolee
    I am almost done with my striped quilt, first try. It needs to be twin size. Is there any advice on how wide to make the sashing between blocks so that it doesn't look just like I am trying to make it bigger by using sashing? I want it to be a reasonable amount but don't want to go overboard. Also, should sashing be dark if most of the strips are dark or of your choosing or what? Print, solid? Ideas needed. The blocks are just pinned to my flannel wall; I have yet to sort them on where they should go.
    I would butt it together and then add a border to it. Putting it together this way gives you a diamond design. You can make your top and bottom a different size than the sides to get the size quilt that you want.

  4. #4
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Enid, OK
    Posts
    8,923
    Blog Entries
    1
    I would not sash it...

  5. #5
    Super Member irishrose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Cadillac, MI
    Posts
    6,583
    Blog Entries
    19
    A one inch black sashing would make the colors pop. Then I'd add the same around the outside for a frame, then another border of your choice if you want one. It may not need a wider border - just the narrow black sashing and black binding.

  6. #6
    Senior Member Mary M's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Montana
    Posts
    931
    That is pretty without sashing. I would just put a couple borders on.

  7. #7
    Super Member gale's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    North-Central Indiana
    Posts
    4,637
    Blog Entries
    1
    I like string quilts with sashing and I like the ones I've seen with light colored sashing. I'm guessing 2" would be a good size.

  8. #8
    Super Member Jan in VA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    Posts
    8,198
    I rather like the effect given by the white design wall behind the blocks.......thin and light colored.

    Jan in VA

  9. #9
    Senior Member CompulsiveQuilter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Knoxville, TN
    Posts
    745
    [quote=Jan in VA]I rather like the effect given by the white design wall behind the blocks.......thin and light colored.

    Exactly what she said

  10. #10
    Super Member 117becca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    dayton OH
    Posts
    1,875
    I think a dark color over lighter color because dark is what i see when i look at the quilt.

    You do see the diamond shapes when you don't have the sashing - but if the sashing was about 1" wide for example, you might also still see the diamonds...

    When adding the border, i also would keep the fabric darker in tone. I always have "try" out different colors to see which one my eyes like better.

  11. #11
    Super Member leatheflea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    martinsville Indiana
    Posts
    4,454
    I like it as is, no sashing.

  12. #12
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Noblesville, IN
    Posts
    1,315
    I would not sash it. It is quite beautiful as it is!

  13. #13
    community benefactor Renee110's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    777
    Blog Entries
    8
    I like it as it is.

  14. #14
    Super Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    NE Pa.
    Posts
    1,614
    I would not put sashing on it. I like it the way it is. You can add several borkers quite effectively.

  15. #15
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Battleground,IN
    Posts
    1,477
    I like it as is no sashing and I to think black would be beautiful as a border with maybe the piano keys with all the colors of your quilt same width as what you used in your blocks along outside edge of border to help give you more length and width.It is going to be beautiful no matter what you do really like diamond effect.

  16. #16
    Senior Member lvaughan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Posts
    346
    I would put a narrow light strip between blocks, maybe 1", then the same light fabric for a wider border.

  17. #17
    Senior Member 1barron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Salisbury, MO
    Posts
    380
    Quote Originally Posted by asmmauer
    I like it as is no sashing and I to think black would be beautiful as a border with maybe the piano keys with all the colors of your quilt same width as what you used in your blocks along outside edge of border to help give you more length and width.It is going to be beautiful no matter what you do really like diamond effect.
    I think it would look great this way.

  18. #18
    Power Poster dkabasketlady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Lakeland, Florida
    Posts
    10,215
    It sounds like everyone is on the "fence" with advice. I'd put a VERY small LIGHT color sashing between the blocks and then another small border all the way around to frame it. Then add additional larger borders until you have it the size you want it to be.
    I love scrappy quilts and yours is no exception. It's BEAUTIFUL!!!

  19. #19
    Senior Member Hen3rietta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    SE Pennsylvania
    Posts
    623
    I'd use whatever size washing *looks* right between the blocks and then add multiple borders to enlarge it if need be.
    Diana

  20. #20
    Super Member Lori S's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    9,385
    I like it without a sashing , but if you must go with a thin sashing, no wider than the majority of the strip widths in the blocks.

  21. #21
    Super Member sewcrafty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    New Hampshire
    Posts
    3,958
    Here's something that might give you an idea:

    http://www.andoverfabrics.com/Quilts...0Tic%20Tac.pdf

  22. #22
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Dalton, MN
    Posts
    338
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by 1barron
    Quote Originally Posted by Nolee
    I am almost done with my striped quilt, first try. It needs to be twin size. Is there any advice on how wide to make the sashing between blocks so that it doesn't look just like I am trying to make it bigger by using sashing? I want it to be a reasonable amount but don't want to go overboard. Also, should sashing be dark if most of the strips are dark or of your choosing or what? Print, solid? Ideas needed. The blocks are just pinned to my flannel wall; I have yet to sort them on where they should go.
    I would butt it together and then add a border to it. Putting it together this way gives you a diamond design. You can make your top and bottom a different size than the sides to get the size quilt that you want.
    I agree. I think it would look good without borders around each block.

  23. #23
    Super Member Aurora's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Somewhere in Time
    Posts
    2,126
    Blog Entries
    2
    I love that pattern without the sashing. I definitely would not sash. The colors are so beautiful and work together to please the eye, I would not break that up with sashing.

  24. #24
    leonajo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    middle of the Ozarks
    Posts
    434
    beautiful work, will look great with or without sashing. If u sash, make it black!

  25. #25
    Super Member Nanjun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    2,136
    Blog Entries
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
    I would not sash it...

    I have made several of these quilts and am working on one now. I sashed it with 1 1/2 inch black strips and I really dont like it. I will never sash one again.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.