Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Width of Sashing

I am almost done with my striped quilt, first try. It needs to be twin size. Is there any advice on how wide to make the sashing between blocks so that it doesn't look just like I am trying to make it bigger by using sashing? I want it to be a reasonable amount but don't want to go overboard. Also, should sashing be dark if most of the strips are dark or of your choosing or what? Print, solid? Ideas needed. The blocks are just pinned to my flannel wall; I have yet to sort them on where they should go.

Mish Mash Blocks
    Name:  Attachment-163551.jpe
Views: 580
Size:  64.3 KB

Cyn
    Blog Entries
    Just my thought but I'd probably just use around 2 inch sashings and I'd go dark like maybe black. I'm no expert tho!

Quote Originally Posted by Nolee
    I am almost done with my striped quilt, first try. It needs to be twin size. Is there any advice on how wide to make the sashing between blocks so that it doesn't look just like I am trying to make it bigger by using sashing? I want it to be a reasonable amount but don't want to go overboard. Also, should sashing be dark if most of the strips are dark or of your choosing or what? Print, solid? Ideas needed. The blocks are just pinned to my flannel wall; I have yet to sort them on where they should go.
    I would butt it together and then add a border to it. Putting it together this way gives you a diamond design. You can make your top and bottom a different size than the sides to get the size quilt that you want.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I would not sash it...

Blog Entries
    A one inch black sashing would make the colors pop. Then I'd add the same around the outside for a frame, then another border of your choice if you want one. It may not need a wider border - just the narrow black sashing and black binding.

That is pretty without sashing. I would just put a couple borders on.

Blog Entries
    I like string quilts with sashing and I like the ones I've seen with light colored sashing. I'm guessing 2" would be a good size.

Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    I rather like the effect given by the white design wall behind the blocks.......thin and light colored.

Jan in VA

Senior Member CompulsiveQuilter's Avatar
    [quote=Jan in VA]I rather like the effect given by the white design wall behind the blocks.......thin and light colored.

Exactly what she said

I think a dark color over lighter color because dark is what i see when i look at the quilt.

You do see the diamond shapes when you don't have the sashing - but if the sashing was about 1" wide for example, you might also still see the diamonds...

When adding the border, i also would keep the fabric darker in tone. I always have "try" out different colors to see which one my eyes like better.

I like it as is, no sashing.

I would not sash it. It is quite beautiful as it is!

Blog Entries
    I like it as it is.

I would not put sashing on it. I like it the way it is. You can add several borkers quite effectively.

I like it as is no sashing and I to think black would be beautiful as a border with maybe the piano keys with all the colors of your quilt same width as what you used in your blocks along outside edge of border to help give you more length and width.It is going to be beautiful no matter what you do really like diamond effect.

I would put a narrow light strip between blocks, maybe 1", then the same light fabric for a wider border.

Quote Originally Posted by asmmauer
    I like it as is no sashing and I to think black would be beautiful as a border with maybe the piano keys with all the colors of your quilt same width as what you used in your blocks along outside edge of border to help give you more length and width.It is going to be beautiful no matter what you do really like diamond effect.
    I think it would look great this way.

It sounds like everyone is on the "fence" with advice. I'd put a VERY small LIGHT color sashing between the blocks and then another small border all the way around to frame it. Then add additional larger borders until you have it the size you want it to be.
    I love scrappy quilts and yours is no exception. It's BEAUTIFUL!!!

I'd use whatever size washing *looks* right between the blocks and then add multiple borders to enlarge it if need be.
    Diana

I like it without a sashing , but if you must go with a thin sashing, no wider than the majority of the strip widths in the blocks.

Here's something that might give you an idea:

http://www.andoverfabrics.com/Quilts...0Tic%20Tac.pdf

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 1barron
    Quote Originally Posted by Nolee
    I would butt it together and then add a border to it. Putting it together this way gives you a diamond design. You can make your top and bottom a different size than the sides to get the size quilt that you want.
    I agree. I think it would look good without borders around each block.

Blog Entries
    I love that pattern without the sashing. I definitely would not sash. The colors are so beautiful and work together to please the eye, I would not break that up with sashing.

beautiful work, will look great with or without sashing. If u sash, make it black!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
    I would not sash it...

I have made several of these quilts and am working on one now. I sashed it with 1 1/2 inch black strips and I really dont like it. I will never sash one again.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast