Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Results 1 to 19 of 19

Thread: Sashing - cut 2x the width

  1. #1

    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    7
    I have always sewed but done very little quilting. I guess I am self taught since there is no one I know who quilts and only one fabric store near me. Today a friend invited me to a quilt show by the Annapolis ( Md) Quilt Guild. I am entranced. I bought some great fabrics and one panel to make a wall hanging for my daughter. One woman there demonstrated a way to join fabric blocks that I had not seen before. Maybe someone here can help or direct me.
    The sashing between the blocks was cut 2x the width of the sash, joined to the first block rt sides together with 1/4 seam. But I didn't catch how the second block was joined. The excess sash material was folded over and pressed with 1/4 hem edge. I know that the back edge needs to be sewed by hand so the stitching doesn't show on the front. Afterward the double sash can be quilted also.
    Does this make sense as I've explained it ? Can anyone help me here.? I want to save this techniqe for when I do another block quilt.

    Thanks for any help !!
    Mickey

  2. #2
    Super Member mary quite contrary's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    2,540
    It sounds like a quilt as you go. I haven't done it that way. Maybe someone else here can help you.

  3. #3
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    MS
    Posts
    3,486
    Blog Entries
    2
    Hello. Welcome to the quiltingboard from Crump, Tennessee. I used our search field (sashing) and read many of the post we have on sashing. I didn't see anything that brought her method to mind. I did learn a lot of tips on sashing and enjoyed that. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful./Regards, Dorothy
    (While we wait for others to offer ideas take a minute to watch this video from Bayside Quilting called 'Fun and Done'.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/
    It is really good./Regards, Dorothy)

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    7
    Dorothy - Thanks for looking into my Sashing question. I am new to this message board and it doesn't seem to be working for me. I have been in forums before but nothing I am typing here seems to go online.I clicked on the line that you sent for Fun and Done and nothing happened except the Quilting home page came up.Where do I go from there?
    I was not able to view my question that I posted about sashing but apparently others were since I got a couple of replys - ( none the cut 2x solution).
    I printed out the directions about forum rules but that doesn't explain how to use the forum. Since you are a regular here can you help?
    Mickey

  5. #5
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    MS
    Posts
    3,486
    Blog Entries
    2
    I'm here. Rereading your question.
    Copy/pasted: "but nothing I am typing here seems to go online."
    I am not sure what you mean.
    ? When you update a post it doesn't add your update to the post?
    ? When you clicked on the link it didn't go to that website?
    The web address is: www.baysidequilting.com
    Once the site comes up view the video of 'fun and done'.
    I will be watching for your response so we can get you on a happy trail. :lol:

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    7
    OK - I got to the bayside quilting site - I will look at that after I get the other issue solved.

    I am unable to locate my original post. I thought I put it on the message board under "MAIN" for questions or comments about quilting. But when I view the list of posts that are there mine is not there. The way I got to your reply to my post was from an e-mail from the administrator. Does this make sense?

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    7
    OK - Now I see my sashing question on MAIN. Apparently there was a time lapse before I became visible. I do thank you for looking into this and being available. Since I just attended this quilt show yesterday I think it is too early to contact the woman who demonstrated this sashing technique. The show goes on for the entire weekend and I imagine she will have many questions to answer. However she will be e-mailing me a handout for something else. When I get that I will inquire also about the 2x sashing and I will post her reply. It was so neat and appeared to be easy.

    Thanks again Dorothy

    Mickey

  8. #8
    Super Member pollyjvan9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Posts
    3,026
    Blog Entries
    1
    Sounds like Cotton Theory Quilting to me. A quilt as you go technique

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    7
    Hello Polly, I am looking uo this Cotton Theory quilting. Is it something that you have done yourself? are the instructions clear or is it only for advanced quilters. I see the book online but I want another opinion before I buy it just for the 2x sashing technique.

    Mickey

  10. #10
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    MS
    Posts
    3,486
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by Michaines
    OK - Now I see my sashing question on MAIN. Apparently there was a time lapse before I became visible. I do thank you for looking into this and being available. Since I just attended this quilt show yesterday I think it is too early to contact the woman who demonstrated this sashing technique. The show goes on for the entire weekend and I imagine she will have many questions to answer. However she will be e-mailing me a handout for something else. When I get that I will inquire also about the 2x sashing and I will post her reply. It was so neat and appeared to be easy.

    Thanks again Dorothy

    Mickey
    No problem. The members on this board have been so helpful to me. I know you will find it to be the same for you.
    Regarding your issues on the use of the Quiltingboard:
    I have noticed it takes longer on Saturday, Sunday and 4pm to 8ishpm to 'open post, make post, view photos, go to links, etc.'. I thought it must be my browser or internet service provider being slow. I have wondered if it is because the traffic on the Quiltingboard is so heavy at those times. I have also noticed if I am updating a post and several others are updating the same post at the same time it will take awhile for my update to load.
    For the emails you mentioned you got from Admin. It is an email notification from the Quiltingboard letting you know there has been a 'new' update to a post you made or a post you made an update in.
    To enable or disable email notifications click on your user name and scroll down until you see the option.
    We like questions on the quiltingboard. It keeps us all sharp as a new pair of scizzors. :lol: Just chime out when you want to know something or when you want to teach others something. Regards, Dorothy

  11. #11
    Super Member CAROLJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Rancho Mirage, CA
    Posts
    1,895
    Quote Originally Posted by dsb38327
    Hello. Welcome to the quiltingboard from Crump, Tennessee. I used our search field (sashing) and read many of the post we have on sashing. I didn't see anything that brought her method to mind. I did learn a lot of tips on sashing and enjoyed that. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful./Regards, Dorothy
    (While we wait for others to offer ideas take a minute to watch this video from Bayside Quilting called 'Fun and Done'.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/
    It is really good./Regards, Dorothy)
    Dorothy, I think the problem is that this goes back to home, it doesn't go to a video.

  12. #12
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    MS
    Posts
    3,486
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by CAROLJ
    Quote Originally Posted by dsb38327
    Hello. Welcome to the quiltingboard from Crump, Tennessee. I used our search field (sashing) and read many of the post we have on sashing. I didn't see anything that brought her method to mind. I did learn a lot of tips on sashing and enjoyed that. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful./Regards, Dorothy
    (While we wait for others to offer ideas take a minute to watch this video from Bayside Quilting called 'Fun and Done'.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/
    It is really good./Regards, Dorothy)
    Dorothy, I think the problem is that this goes back to home, it doesn't go to a video.
    :D OOOOOOOOps, my bad. :oops: Thanks for picking up on this! Guess I made it say what I wanted it to say when I proof read it./Thanks again, Dorothy

  13. #13
    Moderator Up North's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    North East Lower peninsula of Michigan
    Posts
    6,502
    http://www.baysidequilting.com/store...idCategory=284

    Here is a link to the fun and done video.

  14. #14
    Power Poster amma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Out searching for some sunshine :-)
    Posts
    59,092
    Blog Entries
    1
    There is also a quilt as you go tute k3n made for us in the Tutorial section here :D:D:D No hand sewing is required!

  15. #15
    Power Poster BellaBoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Front row
    Posts
    14,661
    Blog Entries
    2
    That is the way Georgia Bonesteel does Quilt as you Go. Her books are in about every library. Her method is the easiest to do and you can't tell it wasn't a complete quilt top to begin with. I have done Fun and Done and Cotton Theory in classes. They were boring and tedious for me to finish.

  16. #16

    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    7
    Thanks so much - I will look in our library - and if it is what I want will buy myself one. In fact I have heard so much about her that I may buy it anyway.

    Mickey

  17. #17
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Anchorage, AK
    Posts
    1,294
    Quote Originally Posted by Michaines
    Hello Polly, I am looking uo this Cotton Theory quilting. Is it something that you have done yourself? are the instructions clear or is it only for advanced quilters. I see the book online but I want another opinion before I buy it just for the 2x sashing technique.

    Mickey
    I've done the Cotton Theory technique and it's very simple sewing. There are two parts to her theory - making the block and connecting the blocks. She (Betty Cotton) encourages and shows you how to do a different type of quilting than we are used to...but any quilting design will work for making the block. the block is made with one layer of fabric at least two inches longer each dimension than the opposite side...in other words, one side of the block sandwich has an inch extra all the way around the fabric on the other side. This extra fabric is what is used in connecting the blocks. To connect - stitch two of these blocks together using a one inch seam allowance, then you fold under the raw edges on each of the pieces of fabric and top stitch/quilt them down. Just as in other quilt-as-you-go projects, you connect each row or column before stitching them together into the full top.

    Does this make sense?

  18. #18
    Google Goddess craftybear's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Central Indiana (USA)
    Posts
    30,667
    Blog Entries
    194
    Welcome, waving from Indiana, USA

    go to search on this site and type "sashing" and also you can google it and find lots of cool links, Happy quilting!

  19. #19

    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    7
    ktbb
    Sounds a little confusing but I am planning to find her first book from the library and I'm sure there will be illustrations. I really appreciate your help in figuring this out.Everyone has been so friendly and knowledgeable. I am going to like it here and will have questions as I go.
    Thanks so much.
    Mickey

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.