Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sashing - cut 2x the width >

Sashing - cut 2x the width

Sashing - cut 2x the width

Old 06-13-2010, 05:07 AM

Originally Posted by dsb38327
Hello. Welcome to the quiltingboard from Crump, Tennessee. I used our search field (sashing) and read many of the post we have on sashing. I didn't see anything that brought her method to mind. I did learn a lot of tips on sashing and enjoyed that. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful./Regards, Dorothy
(While we wait for others to offer ideas take a minute to watch this video from Bayside Quilting called 'Fun and Done'.
http://www.quiltingboard.com/
It is really good./Regards, Dorothy)
Dorothy, I think the problem is that this goes back to home, it doesn't go to a video.
Old 06-13-2010, 06:05 AM

Originally Posted by CAROLJ
Originally Posted by dsb38327
Hello. Welcome to the quiltingboard from Crump, Tennessee. I used our search field (sashing) and read many of the post we have on sashing. I didn't see anything that brought her method to mind. I did learn a lot of tips on sashing and enjoyed that. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful./Regards, Dorothy
(While we wait for others to offer ideas take a minute to watch this video from Bayside Quilting called 'Fun and Done'.
http://www.quiltingboard.com/
It is really good./Regards, Dorothy)
Dorothy, I think the problem is that this goes back to home, it doesn't go to a video.
:D OOOOOOOOps, my bad. :oops: Thanks for picking up on this! Guess I made it say what I wanted it to say when I proof read it./Thanks again, Dorothy
Old 06-13-2010, 06:31 AM

http://www.baysidequilting.com/store...idCategory=284

Here is a link to the fun and done video.
Old 06-13-2010, 07:00 AM
Power Poster

There is also a quilt as you go tute k3n made for us in the Tutorial section here :D:D:D No hand sewing is required!
Old 06-13-2010, 10:03 AM
Power Poster

That is the way Georgia Bonesteel does Quilt as you Go. Her books are in about every library. Her method is the easiest to do and you can't tell it wasn't a complete quilt top to begin with. I have done Fun and Done and Cotton Theory in classes. They were boring and tedious for me to finish.
Old 06-13-2010, 10:31 AM

Thanks so much - I will look in our library - and if it is what I want will buy myself one. In fact I have heard so much about her that I may buy it anyway.

Mickey
Old 06-13-2010, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by Michaines
Hello Polly, I am looking uo this Cotton Theory quilting. Is it something that you have done yourself? are the instructions clear or is it only for advanced quilters. I see the book online but I want another opinion before I buy it just for the 2x sashing technique.

Mickey
I've done the Cotton Theory technique and it's very simple sewing. There are two parts to her theory - making the block and connecting the blocks. She (Betty Cotton) encourages and shows you how to do a different type of quilting than we are used to...but any quilting design will work for making the block. the block is made with one layer of fabric at least two inches longer each dimension than the opposite side...in other words, one side of the block sandwich has an inch extra all the way around the fabric on the other side. This extra fabric is what is used in connecting the blocks. To connect - stitch two of these blocks together using a one inch seam allowance, then you fold under the raw edges on each of the pieces of fabric and top stitch/quilt them down. Just as in other quilt-as-you-go projects, you connect each row or column before stitching them together into the full top.

Does this make sense?
Old 06-13-2010, 01:30 PM
Google Goddess

Welcome, waving from Indiana, USA

go to search on this site and type "sashing" and also you can google it and find lots of cool links, Happy quilting!
Old 06-13-2010, 03:39 PM

ktbb
Sounds a little confusing but I am planning to find her first book from the library and I'm sure there will be illustrations. I really appreciate your help in figuring this out.Everyone has been so friendly and knowledgeable. I am going to like it here and will have questions as I go.
Thanks so much.
Mickey