View Single Post
Old 01-23-2011, 04:06 PM
Ramona Byrd

I love the old black and white Science Fiction ones. Still remember my Grandma scolding me for wanting to see Buck
Rogers going to Mars, said that silly things like that would never be and it was time to milk the cow or hoe the garden. Grandma lived from the horse and buggy days to right when man walked on the moon, one of the greatest changes in the history of mankind.

And of course the older musicals, such as South Pacific and Oklahoma. I still love the Wizard of Oz, and recently found a good copy of Mary Poppins, it was delightful change after going with my sister to a modern movie.

The older movies had warmth and were fun to watch, and the older versions of musicals will never be duplicated in our life times. They keep making new copies of the older ones but they never make the grade. Like the remake of Cheaper By The Dozen, which I love in book form. BUT the original book was set in the 1920s, when large familes were normal and no one thought much about it. The father was a large, dignified man who was lord of the house but loved all his kids. The modern version one was made to be set in this day and time, when 12 kids are out of sync with half the world going hungry, and the dignified father was played by the manicly motioned thin guy Steve Martin. I simply tossed it in the Goodwill bag after watching a few moments of it.
20,000 Leagues Under The Sea is always a good watching time, and like one of us just said, Seven Brides for Seven Brothers is charming and uplifting. Love movies like that. Perhaps that makes me living in my second childhood, but I'm having fun in it anyway.