View Single Post
Old 01-24-2011, 07:17 PM
scowlkat

In 1978 I had a serious car accident which broke my pelvis and messed up my right knee. I struggled with problems as a result until finally there was no other choice! I had my right hip (March) and then right knee (October) replaced in 1998 when I was 43. Did really well with it and was able to ride a bike, walk so much better and the pain was worse on the knee than the hip but the end result was worth it.

HOWEVER, in 2002 I fell down a flight of stairs and hyperextended the replaced knee. It swelled of course but since there were no cuts or open abraisions, I thought putting ice on it and keeping it elevated for a couple of days was okay. It kept getting worse and two days later I called my doctor who had me come in right away. When I got to his office, they took my temp which was 105 and he sent me to the hospital from his office in an ambulance! Apparently a blood clot was formed which then allowed a staph infection to set in. I had to have three major surgeries including removing the replacement (yes no knee just a spacer) and being in a nursing home to finally beat the infection. My doctor has told me since that he was not sure at one point that he would be able to save my leg.

Now my left knee needs replacement but the horror of what I went through plus the fact that I am now diabetic which means healing is slower has kept me from having it. I am on disability and cannot walk without a cane and then not far.

Now I tell you this not to keep you from having the surgery, only to make you aware that when they tell you to have antibiotics before dental work or any kind of wound, please please do it! I would never want anyone to suffer through what I did.