View Single Post
Old 01-25-2011, 05:52 AM
kwendt

Originally Posted by chuckbere15
We gave my nephew our old iPhone to use as an iPod Touch for Christmas. We gave him a ton of other stuff, too. My nephew is seven years old and we did not want to give him a brand new iPod Touch until he reached the age that would take better care off his belongings. I remember when I was his age. Anyways, tonight while we were celebrating birthdays at my mom's house, we found out that my sister and her husband took the iPhone away from him and replaced it with an mp3 player. They stated that they were afraid he would call 911 on the phone.

Were we wrong to ask for it back? I told my sister I would replace it with an iPod touch. I think that my sister husband is using it.
I guess it all depends on our 'families'... in some, asking for a gift back, is 'taboo'. In others... things are very casual. Just depends. Only you will know. For myself, I tend to be upfront... and will tell the giver that a gift is going to be 'reserved' until appropriate. But I always try to show my appreciation for the thought behind it. If it were my kid (in my family... lol), I'd tell you that I was going to hold onto it until my son was older. Then if you offered to replace the first gift with something else... I would OFFER the original gift back to you... without you having to ask for it. That's because I would understand your words of "replace it with" to mean that it's an exchange. I give you back the item, and you give me back a different item.

The fact that your daughter/son did not offer it back... appears to me anyways... that they consider your gift a gift to their family, for anyone to use. See what I mean? They 'heard' you to say that you will give them ANOTHER.. instead of 'replace'.

I suppose you could say, before you go buy an iTouch... : Just to clarify things, when I said I'd replace it with an iTouch" I meant that IF you give the old iPhone back to me, then I'll replace it". Then that puts the decision ultimately on your daughter/son. Either they give it back, and their son gets an approved electronic device... or they don't give it back.

I would be overjoyed to have parents as generous and thoughtful as you! Whatever the outcome... you gave a wonderful gift, passing on your older iPhone to someone who could appreciate at least the little 'game' part of it. It's nice to see grandparents helping to teach the 'reuse' and recycle, 'pass it on' concept to the g-kids. Too many people buy new, throw away...

The whole question of if he's too young, or careless, or if it will get stolen... is moot. The fact is, I want you to adopt ME!!!!! Do you need a 40 something year old grand daughter???? I know you don't have any iPhones, but what about a Featherweight!!??? :mrgreen: