Old 01-25-2011, 12:24 PM
Robin H

When I signed on here, I had mentioned that I had a bad car accident.

August 13th, I was heading north less than a block from my home when a guy heading south cut me off with a left turn so he could get into a parking lot driveway. He smashed into the front wheel on my driver's side, and plowed me up over a curb and into a block wall. My knees smashed into the dash board, my right ankle was jammed onto the pedal. My left thumb was jammed back into its joint and won't budge, my left wrist, arm and shoulder are all messed up. I had a concussion, whiplash, back and neck injuries, and nerve damage to my legs. I have been bedridden until recently.

A neurologist that I saw last month had the nerve to tell me that I would never walk or drive again.

"Well, I'll show you," I thought, and decided that I had to take matters into my own hands. With the help of a walker and a cane, I am getting better at walking every day. I found that it is next to impossible to push the foot pedal on my sewing machine but I had the determination to do it and I work at it a little at a time. To sew without the use of my left thumb is an enormous challenge, especially when my whole left arm is weak and painful and just about every other part of my body is in pain 24 hours a day.

I made the Raggedy Ann and her clothes using my own pattern, some time ago. I hope to be able to get back to that level of sewing some day. Until then, struggling with another pair of potholders will keep me in the "quilting" realm.

Although I have only been at the quilting board a short time, you have all been so kind with your encouragement and positive comments, not only to me but to each other. It brightens my day to be "around" such kind and thoughtful people.

I have an appointment with an orthopedic doctor tomorrow. Hopefully he will give me a better prognosis. Wish me luck?