View Single Post
Old 01-25-2011, 07:36 PM
omak

Originally Posted by Carrie Jo
Sorry I cant say much..Iam choking on my own words! Oh well it keeps us out of the bars...lol
My mother was bragging to me about her hairdresser who had become a quilter. She was so excited that when I went down for a visit, mom drug down to the beauty shop to meet her hairdresser and see some of her quilts - - and, they were BEAUTIFUL!
The history of the hairdresser was that she had been an alcoholic and quilting is what she used to replace the booze.
Happened that while mother (who is not a quilter - - just one of my biggest fans and has the gift of encouragement) and I were visiting with Miss June, her husband came in, and mother, hoping to brag on Miss June so that her husband would realize how wonderful his wife was ...
says: All this beautiful work, and just think of the $$ you save because she isn't in the bar any more ...
at this point, the beautician and I locked eyes, and I swear! Our eyes were flashing $$$$$$$$$ signs like nobody's business. There was an awkward silence, until I very gently told my mother - -
"Mom? Frankly, he had more money when the woman was falling down drunk - - at least he knew it was only a matter of time before she passed out. Now, she only sleeps when the quilt shop closes."
We had a good laugh and then I took mother to the quilt shop up the road and priced out a quilt for her - - LOL <wave> (And, THAT! was clear back in the middle nineties! :shock: