Thread: feeling guilty
View Single Post
Old 01-26-2011, 09:37 AM
The Creative Seamstress

Originally Posted by davidwent
As some of you already know I am a very newbie. Maybe 3 months since I started. I already have 4 wip's or ufo's however we want to call them.
I know we all do it, but... How do you get over the guilty feeling of projects going unfinished?? LOL
David
Fear not! And don't let these moments off-put you into giving up this hobby, you really aren't a quilter unless you have the UFO's and lists of projects and/or kits you'd really like to get around to doing/completing.

I look at it this way: art and creativity takes time. Many of the masters of renaissance artwork took months and years to finish a project let alone the fact that some walked away from them them for extended periods of time or almost chucked them entirely because another new inspiration beconed in their heart and mind that they just had to express immediately. Bottomline, I don't sweat over UFO's, as I'll take much time as I need. Period.

Who knows... (and this has happenned to me before) if you lack inspiration on one particular project and put it aside, months later, maybe even years - you one day eventually find a perfect fabric or embellishment to finally finalize the project, or sometimes the project just needs a home (that is the perfect person to give it to). And it will always been "just in time" - as it often winds up being the perfect present for someone at the right moment in time for that creation.

I look at it this way: everything has it place in purpose in time. If I create something today with the intentions of finishing it later this week and it does not come to fruition, then it was meant to be "birthed" not "born" just yet. And when the time is right - it will be born just perfect through my own creative eyes. I openly accept the fact that as a quilter I'll always have UFO's, but I will never have UFO's that just never get used, everything has its purpose. That however, may just not be today, tommorrow or next week - no matter how much I want it to be!

As for advice on the guilt - the best advice I can give is to never feel guilty about it... it's apart of the process, the experience and both the joy and love of quilting!

Explosive blessings, abundance and inspiration to you all!
- The Creative Seamstress