Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: feeling guilty

As some of you already know I am a very newbie. Maybe 3 months since I started. I already have 4 wip's or ufo's however we want to call them.
    I know we all do it, but... How do you get over the guilty feeling of projects going unfinished?? LOL
    David

Blog Entries
    Ummm...., hide them where I can't see them?

Blog Entries
    I know that I will eventually get them out and finish them. If a project frustrates me, or if I am unsure of what to do next with it, I would rather let it sit for a while than hurry through it and be unhappy with the end result :D:D:D

Blog Entries
    It's not in my nature to enjoy my projects if I have too many going at once so I stick to only a few projects at a time and always finish one before starting any more. It may not be typical, but it works for me :)

Quote Originally Posted by Prism99
    :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: very funny!

Blog Entries
    go buy more fabrics, so you can start more projects and will help you build up your stash of fabrics

I know I will eventually get back to them, or if I come across one and wonder "what was I thinking?" I can find a good home for them. I generally am working on about 4 or 5 projects at a time.

Blog Entries
    I take them out to the shop. "Then I have so much to do that I just don't get to them. :lol: :lol: That my story and I am sticking to it. :lol: :lol:

Banned
    Actually, I don't feel guilty at all about my UFO's. They've saved me a time or two. My daughter's school just hosted a fundraising dance. Weeks ago I was asked to donate a quilt for one of the door prizes. I forgot to put in on my calendar and with less than a week before the dance my daughter asked how the quilt was coming along. It would have been panic time if I hadn't had a few UFO's sitting in my quilt room. I just went, chose a nice unfinished top and set to quilting it. So I see them as future opportunities to get me out of hot water! :mrgreen:

I'm one of the odd ones as I finish every quilt before I start another. I did try once to have a few UFO's and it drove me nuts. I'd even dream about them. Many of my friends have untold numbers of UFO's and it doesn't bother them one bit. They just keep going and going until they feel like finishing them. Each of us does things our own way and nothing is right or wrong for anyone. It's the joy in quilting and process and we each choose the process that works best for ourselves.

Blog Entries
    One thing about UFO's is if they sit too long your taste could change and you may not feel as enthusiastic about finishing it later. I have some small Christmas quilt tops that I made a few years ago and never quilted. This summer I'll get them in my quilting hoop to work on. I enjoy hand quilting and it doesn't make sense they aren't finished except that other quilts have beckoned to me in the mean time :-D

Banned
    try to spend some time on them on a regular basis. I had a project that kept being moved from one side of the table to the other. I spread it out today and finished cutting the squares. Then put it back on the other side of the table.
    I will now be able to start stitching it.

If having them unfinished makes you anxious, you should work on each of them regularly... I have 4 quilting projects going most times, plus I'm finally learning how to knit... 1 is a gift from a kit, this one takes the most restraint, as it has directions... then the companion quilt with the left overs from that one,that's a make it up as you go; then the pp quilt , because I like to do some hand work every day ( that's where the knitting comes in too)and I just finished a wall hanging of siggie blocks from our swap in May, so I'll start on a baby quilt for a co-worker this weekend. Depending what I fee like, that's what I work on, some days I do alittle on each, you'd be amazed how much you feel you've accomplished at the end of the week.

Quilting is supposed to be fun, isn't it? Just do what you feel like doing and my guess is, most of them will get done at some point.

I use to feel guilty .... and then the feeling passed and I started a new project! Some days I want something that I don't have to think about and others I want to work on something from the UFO pile.. either way they all pass through some kind of pile on there way to completition!

I've never felt guilty about my UFO's, I just put them on a shelf and close the door. I know I'll finish them, in fact I spent most of last year finishing up UFO's. I'm down to four now and I plan to get them finished soon. I am quilting for the fun of it, so guilt has never entered my mind.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by davidwent
    As some of you already know I am a very newbie. Maybe 3 months since I started. I already have 4 wip's or ufo's however we want to call them.
    I know we all do it, but... How do you get over the guilty feeling of projects going unfinished?? LOL
    David
    Is it considered a UFO if you've only bought the pattern and fabric and it's sitting in your sewing room waiting for you and waiting for you and waiting for you! And lets just say, it has company, lots of company! LOL Learn to live with the guilt! Then go buy more fabric.!

Blog Entries
    I find I do get around to finishing my LIW (ladies in waiting, so much nicer than UFO) but only when I feel called to them. It keeps me from getting bored with a project if I change them up. Don't worry about it, just do what you want to do. There are no quilt police !!

In order for me to keep sane, I always have several projects working at once, if I get stuck or frustrated I go to a different one, usually I have several different levels of skill, intermediate, middle and easy so I can get my mind wrapped around one project, but I always get back to the original projects eventually :D :D

Blog Entries
    don't feel guilty. This is a hobby, and it's supposed to be fun! It happens to most of us I'd think. We get tired of something, or realize how we could have done something better, or want to change something and then it gets left as is. Sometimes though, WIPS and UFO's can save your hide, especially if you need a quick gift in a hurry!!

Quote Originally Posted by Prism99
    HaHaHaHa! I do that....but after a time I set myself a limit to get them done. I whacked out a stack of them last year because I told myself if I didn't get more to the finished stage I was going to quit sewing & quilting all together. that scared me enough to finish a bunch. Now I have a few more...time to get busy again! =) Good luck!

i'm going to pack all mine away so i can clean that rooom. I will then take one at a time and finish them.. I am not going to start another till i get these four or five that are on the table in various stages finished. I have more than that ready to go but these need to be off the tables. lmao

I'm supposed to feel guilty? lol

I just try to keep the pieces together so that I can come back to them when I am ready.

I do what I please and if I don't feel like working on something, I move on.

If an abandoned project is staring at you and making you uncomfortable, then put it in a box and hide it in the closet or under the bed! lol

I think as a women guilt is part of our lives so what's a little more guilt over not finishing a UFO :) I like to have a project ready for me when I need a quilt to finish for someone. That way I feel like I put a lot of hard work into a quilt in a short timeframe. (See how I made that work!!!) Then there is no guilt over not having it done.

Ohio... wanna build a cabin in the woods and live off the land... and quilt all day!
    I have gotten frustrated or bored with a WIP before, if its a frustration, I will put it aside and move on for awhile. Sometimes the lightbulb goes on while working on a new project, and I'll go back to it. If its a boredom issue, sometimes I hang it over the bookshelves for a couple weeks so I can see it all the time, and decide if it get worked on or put away in a couple weeks. Right now I think there are 7 projects going, one of them being test patterns for a designer. Plus a knit afghan, and three crochet projects. Of course, I am ADHD which helps... get bored? already another thing to spark my interest.

Then sometimes you have to bump other projects for necessity (its really cold here, so building quick bargello window quilts for drafty front livingroom windows... anything to warm them up!)

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast