Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Feeling guilty about my new "baby" >

Feeling guilty about my new "baby"

Feeling guilty about my new "baby"

Old 06-29-2010, 09:30 AM

Yesterday, I purchased a babylock Crafter's Choice sewing machine. I got a fantastic deal on it from a great dealer who threw in a free walking foot. I should be ripping it out of the packaging to play with it, but I was up all night worrying about how selfish it was of me to spend $500 on myself. My husband and I do very well for ourselves, financially, but we're very frugal. This is by far the most either of us has ever spent on a hobby. I toyed with getting a lower priced model from Walmart (one of the Brothers), and I kind of feel guilty going for the more expensive model. It's not like anyone but me is going to get enjoyment out of the sewing machine. Does anyone else feel this way ever? Or should I just shut out the voices in my head and get to playing with my new toy?
Old 06-29-2010, 09:33 AM

I have done the same thing, but you need to realize that you aren't the only one that will get enjoyment out of your new "baby". Others will enjoy the things you make on it, and they will also benefit from the good mood you will be in after spending time sewing on a nice machine that does what you want it to do. I say ENJOY!!!
Old 06-29-2010, 09:34 AM

I felt that way when I first got my Brother Innovis-40 for Christmas. That feeling has passed! :lol: :lol: I absolutley love my machine, and I'm SO happy I have it!
Seriously though, I'm sure it was a well-deserved machine, and like you said, you aren't struggling for money. I think most women feel guilty when we do something for ourselves.
But, I think, yes, you should "get over it" and play with your new toy!! :-D :thumbup:
Old 06-29-2010, 09:34 AM

Get that new toy out and PLAY!!!

As far as sewing machines go, $500 is considered by most to be a lower end model. Now had you spent many thousands of dollars on a new top of the line model, I could understand feeling guilty. So as I see it, you were being frugal and should feel no guilt.
Old 06-29-2010, 09:36 AM
Pam

Aw, just enjoy it. You earned the $$ and you can have it. I just gave you permission. If you need to be talked into it, call me, I am VERY persuasive.
Old 06-29-2010, 09:49 AM
Power Poster

Please take it out and start enjoying it :D:D:D
Being frugal is wonderful, but look at this as an investment. Not only can you make gifts, but the mental benenfits from sewing/quilting should not be forgotten either :wink:
Old 06-29-2010, 09:50 AM
Power Poster

Just look at it this way... you are helping the economy.First the shop you got it from , then you will need fabrics, needles, bobbins, etc...

Then think of all the joy will you get as you make and create ... then the receivers their joy and happiness... it just goes on and on :thumbup:

Keep us posted on your new projects on your new baby :lol:
Old 06-29-2010, 09:54 AM

Enjoy it!! I just cashed in a substantial amount of my retirement savings to pay for renos, but before the renos were paid for I went on a shopping spree for ME!! I scrimped and saved that money as a single mother raising two kids and I felt I was entitled!

So as long as it isn't taking food from your mouths or the bills are going unpaid, enjoy it! What are you saving your money for? This isn't a practice run for life... it is life. Live it, love it and be joyous!
Old 06-29-2010, 09:58 AM

I say shut those voices off. Espically if this isn't the norm for you to spend this kind of money. We deserve a few rewards once in awhile.I am a pretty frugal person but also have learned sometimes its not about saving the money, somethings are just worth the higher price and I beleive sewing machines are one of those things...says a person who bought a cheaper machine from wal-mart...lol. And I personally don't think you would be happy with the one from wal-mart.
Go, enjoy your new machine.....congrats on your new baby.
Old 06-29-2010, 10:07 AM

You all are so right. I appreciate the enabling! We're so dedicated to savings and proper investments... time to have some fun. Thanks for the replies.