View Single Post
Old 01-27-2011, 01:31 AM
pumpkinpatchquilter

I use mine almost exclusively for piecing. TAKE IT! ;)

First of all they are antiques, they don't make them anymore, so you'll own a little bit of history.

Second they can be EXPENSIVE! I have heard stories of them going for $20 at a yard sale or being passed down in families...but people know what they are so those good bargains are far and few between anymore. I got a bug up my butt and had to have one a few years ago and ended up paying over $300. On the upside it was refurbished and from a sewing center so at least I knew it was in good working order. But they are solid machines and really last forever. Many of the electrical parts that go bad are still replaceable and you can find just about anything on Ebay.

Third, they are portable. This is why they were such a hot item in the 30's, 40's, and 50's when they came out! I take mine camping and to guild meetings. It's a FEATHER weight! ;)

Fourth, they are outstandingly reliable. Featherweights are simple machines, unless really abused they really hold up for a long time.

Fifth, they piece like a dream. I love them because there is just a little hole where the needle goes in and out, other than an open exposed feed like on my other sewing machines. On my newer machines my fabric is always getting sucked down into that exposed area, but you don't have that issue with the featherweight.

Sixth...it's just really cute and fun to sew on. You can show off to all your friends when you get it! ;)

Did I mention you should TAKE IT! ;)