Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Love your featherweight?

Several times on this board I have read people talking about buying a featherweight and how excited they were. I have an opportunity to have one given to me. Please tell me why you like your featherweight and why they are so popular. Thanks!

They are wonderful for piecing. Also so easy to take anywhere because they are so light.

Blog Entries
    They are just sooooo cute :D:D:D

Blog Entries
    Don't pass up the opportunity. You'll see what all the fuss is about once you sit down and sew a few seams. I use mine for piecing all the time. And they're just so darn cute!

I absolutely love the straight stitch :0)

Super Member pumpkinpatchquilter's Avatar
    I use mine almost exclusively for piecing. TAKE IT! ;)

First of all they are antiques, they don't make them anymore, so you'll own a little bit of history.

Second they can be EXPENSIVE! I have heard stories of them going for $20 at a yard sale or being passed down in families...but people know what they are so those good bargains are far and few between anymore. I got a bug up my butt and had to have one a few years ago and ended up paying over $300. On the upside it was refurbished and from a sewing center so at least I knew it was in good working order. But they are solid machines and really last forever. Many of the electrical parts that go bad are still replaceable and you can find just about anything on Ebay.

Third, they are portable. This is why they were such a hot item in the 30's, 40's, and 50's when they came out! I take mine camping and to guild meetings. It's a FEATHER weight! ;)

Fourth, they are outstandingly reliable. Featherweights are simple machines, unless really abused they really hold up for a long time.

Fifth, they piece like a dream. I love them because there is just a little hole where the needle goes in and out, other than an open exposed feed like on my other sewing machines. On my newer machines my fabric is always getting sucked down into that exposed area, but you don't have that issue with the featherweight.

Sixth...it's just really cute and fun to sew on. You can show off to all your friends when you get it! ;)

Did I mention you should TAKE IT! ;)

Blog Entries
    I love mine...it's got a perfect straight stitch, is very quiet, takes up so little space and it's cute! It's my favorite piecing machine. If you get the chance to get one, go for it!

Blog Entries
    Try weighing your current machine - FW's weigh less than 11 pounds.

They are also fast becoming a status symbol - but the cuteness and ease of maintanance really did it for me. I now have two - don't pass up this fantastic offer.

Lightweight, I had never seen one until right before christmas. While shopping at a local sewing machine dealer a lady opens the door, she struggling to get through the door, the sales lady runs over and helps by taking he heavy box. She lugs it up on the counter and takes out this cute little sewing machine. Looks at me and says I dont know why they call these things featherweights. We played with the machine and talked about featherweight rage, and how the only good thing about them was the stitch and relability. I dont have one, would love one, but not for carrying to class, or the next room for that matter. Others here say they are lightweight?

Super Member pumpkinpatchquilter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by leatheflea
    Lightweight, I had never seen one until right before christmas. While shopping at a local sewing machine dealer a lady opens the door, she struggling to get through the door, the sales lady runs over and helps by taking he heavy box. She lugs it up on the counter and takes out this cute little sewing machine. Looks at me and says I dont know why they call these things featherweights. We played with the machine and talked about featherweight rage, and how the only good thing about them was the stitch and relability. I dont have one, would love one, but not for carrying to class, or the next room for that matter. Others here say they are lightweight?
    Well, realistically no, they are not like toting around a clutch purse, but they are not THAT heavy. LOL* They are lighter than your average sewing machine. I put mine in a little rolling luggage bag...it's a LOT lighter than trying to bring my regular sewing machine with me places!

Blog Entries
    I had one & used it a lot in our RV.It was compact, sewed forward & reverse,sewed a perfect quarter inch seam.Sold mine after we stopped traveling.They'd also be good as a back up machine.I didn't go to classes, but would be great size for that.

I love my featherweight because it was the first machine I ever sewed on. I started using my mom's featherweight when I was nine. My daughter now has that machine and is using it to make doggie items (snoods, doggie diapers and drying coats). I picked up mine for $45 at a garage sale and use it for classes. I made 20 scrap quilt blocks on it at our Community Quilts afternoon this week and it sewed absolutely perfectly and was the quietest machine there.

Oh yes, you will love it!

Yes get it. I agree with everyone, especially pumpkinpatchquilter.

Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    You are so lucky to get one free! WOWWWWWWWWW
    Mine sews like a dream and is so cute and lightweight. I can sew anywhere with it.
    So many reasons I love mine and I think they've been given to you by the others :D:D

DON'T PASS THAT UP!! I absolutely love mine. I have my grandma's and my mothers (Grandma's is a black Centennial edition and my mom's is the white one). They are the first machines I ever sewed on and I don't think my mom OR my grandma ever took them in for service. I'm not even sure that they were oiled regularly. Both of them hum along just perfectly, have an absolutely perfect straight stitch, and I've never had a problem with either one of them. I bought the CD and book on how to do maintenance on them and took my grandma's apart (myself! - and it was EASY) and cleaned and oiled her and she just purrs! You'll never be sorry. :-)

I always wanted an FW because of their beauty and utility. I finally decided to find one. I now have three, tho I might give one to my mom. The stitch is perfect. The machines are beautiful and durable and can be easily maintained and even repaired by the owner. They are an example of American and Scottish craftsmanship at a time when we made our livings making quality products bought by our neighbors. The last seemingly forever, parts are still available. They are compact, portable, and durable, perfect for travel and kids. THEY ARE CUTE! They are social, they attract one another and they seem to draw their owners together. They are easy to use, fix, and collect. They are affordable. I bought one via CL, one from a Singer repair center, and one from Graham Forsdyke. Many people have found them at Goodwill, garage sales, and even the curb. I prefer mine cleaned, refurbed, and fully operational and I don't mind paying for that. Only a fool would pass up a free FW. It takes up no more room than an 8 pack of TP.

Quote Originally Posted by pumpkinpatchquilter
    I use mine almost exclusively for piecing. TAKE IT! ;)

First of all they are antiques, they don't make them anymore, so you'll own a little bit of history.

Second they can be EXPENSIVE! I have heard stories of them going for $20 at a yard sale or being passed down in families...but people know what they are so those good bargains are far and few between anymore. I got a bug up my butt and had to have one a few years ago and ended up paying over $300. On the upside it was refurbished and from a sewing center so at least I knew it was in good working order. But they are solid machines and really last forever. Many of the electrical parts that go bad are still replaceable and you can find just about anything on Ebay.

Third, they are portable. This is why they were such a hot item in the 30's, 40's, and 50's when they came out! I take mine camping and to guild meetings. It's a FEATHER weight! ;)

Fourth, they are outstandingly reliable. Featherweights are simple machines, unless really abused they really hold up for a long time.

Fifth, they piece like a dream. I love them because there is just a little hole where the needle goes in and out, other than an open exposed feed like on my other sewing machines. On my newer machines my fabric is always getting sucked down into that exposed area, but you don't have that issue with the featherweight.

Sixth...it's just really cute and fun to sew on. You can show off to all your friends when you get it! ;)

Did I mention you should TAKE IT! ;)
    Okay then why own any other machine? Or am I missing something here?

Quote Originally Posted by Marie R
    Several times on this board I have read people talking about buying a featherweight and how excited they were. I have an opportunity to have one given to me. Please tell me why you like your featherweight and why they are so popular. Thanks!
    Trust US! just take it you will learn why we all Love them. 8-)

I dont have one, but they sure are CUTE! Hope you get it!

What pumpkin patch said.
    I have two of them.

@MrsM...the reason to own another machine would be because the throat area is small, so unless you're doing a small quilt, you can't FMQ on one. They don't have any decorative stitches or zigzag stitch if you use them - but that's also the reason their straight stitch is so...straight! For piecing, however, you just can't beat 'em.

It is very cute and portable. It will most likely out live all of us. It is a quality machine and great for piecing and taking along.

That said I own multiple vintage machines and I grab my Singer 301, Bernina 830, or green Elna before I would the Feather Weight. Some of those are not so portable though. LOL

My two Feather weights usually just stand there and look cute.

My apologies for how the machines look. those are pictures from when they came to live at my house and where not yet cleaned up.

As for why you would need an other machine? the Feather Weights and Singer 301 are straight stitch machines. they do one stitch that is why there is just a tiny hole the needle goes through instead of a side ways slit. For some modern machines you can buy a straight stitch plate, I did for my Janome 6500, just be sure to chenage the plate out when you do anything but a straight stitch. Also the troat opening is small for the Feather Weight but so it is for many modern machines with all the bells and wistles.

Feather Weight
    Name:  Attachment-168909.jpe
Views: 27
Size:  6.5 KB

Feather Weight
    Name:  Attachment-168910.jpe
Views: 32
Size:  6.7 KB

Singer 301 "big sister" of the FW. Out of the cabinet this is also portable but a little heavier then the FW. Note the handle on top.
    Name:  Attachment-168911.jpe
Views: 31
Size:  46.9 KB

Blog Entries
    pumpkinpatch lists the great reasons to get a FW. I had only seen pics until buying one recently. When I saw this little FW I thought 'what a little cutie pie she is.' They look like baby sewing machines :-P They may be small & cute but they are tough and strong. They sew a fantastic straight stitch.

Blog Entries
    To illustrate why we might need another sewing machine, we don't have just one pot to do all our cooking. We use the one that fits the job at hand. Same with the featherweight. It's great for straight stitching and portability but sometimes we need the advantages of newer machines.

-Decorative/zig zag stitches
    -Larger throat space
    -Needle up/down
    -Ability to move needle right or left

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast