Old 01-27-2011, 02:24 PM
Prism99
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Annaquilts
The quilt has sashing and blocks that are set on point so I am not sure how the three pieces of batting would have worked but I can sure see this for another quilt. Never thought of it and so simple.
If you were planning to machine quilt diagonally, then I think it would work fine on this type of quilt as long as you also cut the batting diagonally. The middle piece would go from one corner to the other corner.

The trick to getting the pieces of batting to match up perfectly is to cut the batting with a rotary cutter using a large "S" pattern. Put some registration marks along the cut edge, and also mark the batting pieces (such as "top right" and "top left") to make sure you reassemble the batting exactly as it was. Debra Wagner recommended hand tacking the batting together using a tailor's tack stitch, but it probably works just as well to use a wide and long machine zigzag. Cutting in the large "S" curves makes sure the quilt does not ultimately develop a fold line where the batting pieces were sewn back together.