View Single Post
Old 12-13-2008, 10:30 AM
peaceandjoy

I'm just starting to toy with FMQ myself, so am not able to provide experienced suggestions. In addition to the darning foot, definitely wear quilting gloves. I prefer the Machingers brand over the quilter's gloves with the gripper dots. The Machingers ones aren't as bulky.

I did find a few clips on YouTube that I found helpful. Different searches I did at their site were, "quilting," "free-motion," "stippling," and "machine quilting." You'll definitely find some inspiration!

I took a one-day class from a quilter who does workshops all over the country, has entered quilts in national competitions, and quilts for some of the "famous" designers. Her work has been published in both magazines and books. She does it ALL on a home sewing machine - no long-arm! I guess I was hoping that I'd absorb some of her talent by osmosis... NOT!!! :roll: She had us make several 12" sandwiches and practice different things - loops, hearts/leaves, stippling, etc. Basically, as others here have said - it comes down to practice, practice, practice. Now I know how younger DD felt when I told her that she wasn't going to sound wonderful on the clarinet just by picking it up - she'd have to practice. She didn't want to hear it any more than I do, lol :oops:

One suggestion I also liked was to use a "cheater panel" or make a very simple top using just some big squares. Something you haven't invested a lot of time in. Practice on that, with the plan that when you are done you will give it to a child or charity that will be delighted and won't be inspecting it for perfection as we are apt to do ourselves.

My LQS brought back a new tool from the Houston show. It's called "Quilt Halo." I haven't tried it yet, too busy getting ready for Christmas. Okay, and a little surfing the net...