Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Thread/Tute idea on FMQ >

Thread/Tute idea on FMQ

Thread/Tute idea on FMQ

Old 12-12-2008, 08:54 AM

I've been doing FMQ, for 2 years now. Self taught.It took me a solid week of pratice for 3 hrs aday. I've never used a glider or spray. The item that helped me and I could'nt do without are my gloves. I did'nt have the quilters gloves, I used regular gardening gloves, the kind that have hard little bumps on the palms.About the 2nd day of struggling with the fabric and bunching and pulling, and my stitching looking like haywire, I started doing alittle more research. And my gloves are a must.
Hand quilting is an art all in its self, and thats how I did all my quilts. But since I have found FMQ, thats how I make all my quilts. Slimply because I can finish alot of my quilts alot faster and move on to more of my ideas. I use my hand quilting for embellishments on my quilts now.I keep my machines cleaned often because alot of lint and fuzz will build up. I also change my needle about every 3-4 quilts.
Old 12-13-2008, 10:30 AM

I'm just starting to toy with FMQ myself, so am not able to provide experienced suggestions. In addition to the darning foot, definitely wear quilting gloves. I prefer the Machingers brand over the quilter's gloves with the gripper dots. The Machingers ones aren't as bulky.

I did find a few clips on YouTube that I found helpful. Different searches I did at their site were, "quilting," "free-motion," "stippling," and "machine quilting." You'll definitely find some inspiration!

I took a one-day class from a quilter who does workshops all over the country, has entered quilts in national competitions, and quilts for some of the "famous" designers. Her work has been published in both magazines and books. She does it ALL on a home sewing machine - no long-arm! I guess I was hoping that I'd absorb some of her talent by osmosis... NOT!!! :roll: She had us make several 12" sandwiches and practice different things - loops, hearts/leaves, stippling, etc. Basically, as others here have said - it comes down to practice, practice, practice. Now I know how younger DD felt when I told her that she wasn't going to sound wonderful on the clarinet just by picking it up - she'd have to practice. She didn't want to hear it any more than I do, lol :oops:

One suggestion I also liked was to use a "cheater panel" or make a very simple top using just some big squares. Something you haven't invested a lot of time in. Practice on that, with the plan that when you are done you will give it to a child or charity that will be delighted and won't be inspecting it for perfection as we are apt to do ourselves.

My LQS brought back a new tool from the Houston show. It's called "Quilt Halo." I haven't tried it yet, too busy getting ready for Christmas. Okay, and a little surfing the net...
Old 12-13-2008, 11:08 AM

Practice! Practice! Practice! Practice!

I started out buying kitchen gloves and they work fine but they make your hands sweat. I've now switched to the snug fitting quilters gloves. They are the best and I can't do any quilting without them! But the bottom line is "Practice!"

I have made different quilts that I labeled in my mind as "practice quilts" so I don't get uptight about errors. I just relax and go with the flow!

Some one also recommended to put on some music. It does help with the rhythm. Then it's back to Practice! Practice! Practice!

Most importantly... have fun with it! Smile while you Practice! :lol: