View Single Post
Old 01-29-2011, 10:41 AM
kwilter

Originally Posted by moonrise
Originally Posted by Nita

Moonrise ~ Can I ask you a question? Does your featherweight have the fancy scrolled face plate? The way the photo is taken, the face plate does not show. Here is why I ask: I own a 1955 Featherweight (her name is Fern, BTW) but I've been keeping my eyes open for one born in 1950 because that is my year of birth. However, if I'm going to end up with the exact same look, I think I might just stick with my ole'girl, Fern, since I know it is in great runnung condition, I've already had her tuned up by the local Singer man and I just cleaned and oiled it according to the David MacCallum book. I just need to clean and wax the exterior with Carnuba car wax and she will be ready to win a Featherweight Beauty contest!. So, I guess the only reason I might have to trade her in is if I could find one of those beautiful ornate looking machines in good running order. Does anyone know what was the last year that Singer stopped making Featherweights with the fancy scroll plate and frilly decal rather than the simple braid that Fern has?
Mine's got the straight-ribbed faceplate.

I tried to Google it and find out, but apparently there's not a specific year that the plates changed, according to this:

http://www.singer-featherweight.com/...cts-Myths.html

"It is impossible to state the exact date on which minor specification changes took place – for example the switch from "deco" face plate to straited design. Parts bins at the factory were topped up as they became low and it was quite possible for an early feature to appear on a later machine as the parts bin got lower again

The appearance of "straited" face plates on earlier machines can be explained in two ways. 1) If the lower thread guide was broken off the deco plate on an early machine the plate would be replaced by the serviceman with the only available spare – the newer straited plate. 2) Dealers would often "up-date" early machines they had taken in trade, or which had remained unsold, with the latest cosmetic parts to aid sales."
Looks like you will want to hold on to the FW you already have. What you found on the site you quoted is probably correct. In addition, the following is a quote from Nancy Johnson Srebros' FW book: "Later on, in early 1947 at about the start of the series AH, a newer design face plate began to be randomly seen. This design consists of vertical grooves or stripes that cover the entire surface of the plate......One year later, by about the mid-point of the AH series, all U.S. 221 machines were being supplied with this striated design. Why the change? I believe it was a cost-cutting measure......." Hope this helps.