View Single Post
Old 02-01-2011, 09:34 AM
lclang

Originally Posted by Grandma Libby
I was reviewing an OLD quilting magazine this morning while waiting in a repair shop and this 1984 magazine was most interesting. I don't suppose anyone KNOWS how to make SUN PRINTS or knows how they printed photos on the quilts back in '84?
Yes, I know about sun prints. I did a 60th anniversary quilt for my in-laws many years ago. Used the real old chemicals and printed out in the yard, in the street, and in the neighbors yards, wherever I could get the best sun. It was a chore but turned out wonderfully. You need the chemicals, half-tone negatives of the pictures you want to print and a piece of glass the size of your prints as well as an old card table that you can easily move around. I doubt if you can get the chemicals any more, I borrowed mine from a friend who didn't want to do any more of the sun prints. Some place offered fabrics already treated with the chemicals but I don't know if they are still available. Once the fabric is treated it has to be stored in a very dark place and if you treat your own you need a darkroom. I ruined a whole bathroom with my printing! Would not do it again.