View Single Post
Old 02-06-2011, 10:38 AM
KR

Originally Posted by Holice
A word about the burning stencil cutter.
After many years on the quilt show circuit, the overwhelming opinion from those who have this tool is that it is not satisfactory (I say this for those who might be considering buying one). I am told that it takes a long learning curve to satisfactorily use it. Since it melts the plastic as it cuts, the melted plastic balls up under the stencil and requires sanding to make it smooth. You have to use it very fast to prevent this. Now before anyone writes they use it successfully.....I'm only repeating what users have told me with the comment that they will never use it again. Demos at quilts shows make it look real easy but the demonstrator is skilled in its use.
Sorry to hear some found this tool unsatisfactory. I personally found it only took a little practice to get the feel for it and make smooth lines. Frankly, I think anyone who is used to doing crafty things would not have a steep learning curve here. And in my humble opinion, it sure beats using an X-acto knife!

Perhaps if someone is interested in a particular tool, she would ask a vendor/dealer if she could try it before purchasing, or at least inquire about the return policy if it didn't perform to her expectations. Just my thoughts.