Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Cutting your own stencils??? >

Cutting your own stencils???

Cutting your own stencils???

Old 02-05-2011, 06:42 PM

I haven't used it yet however I bought an exacto blade attachment for my clover iron that is supposed to work perfectly for cutting stencils.
Old 02-05-2011, 06:56 PM

About 30 years ago I bought the stencil maker along with the plastic and it has come in handy over the years. It is simpler and easier to buy them at stencils.com. But for something custom, it has more than paid for itself.
Old 02-05-2011, 06:58 PM

I used my Cricut to cut interlocking hearts. It worked really well!
Old 02-05-2011, 07:19 PM
mim

that look like a soldering iron -- I have a couple and will have to try them on stencil cutting when I get back to Maine

Great idea!!

Mim

Old 02-06-2011, 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by no1jan
I haven't used it yet however I bought an exacto blade attachment for my clover iron that is supposed to work perfectly for cutting stencils.

Never heard of that. Where did you get it? I have a clover iron.
Old 02-06-2011, 09:24 AM
Banned

i have a stencil in my collection that was cut by a quilter using a single blade xacto knife and is cut on freezer paper. She said she was the stencil person in her guild and made stencils from the books. An easier way is to use the double blace knife (was origially called a leading knife and used in stain glass making) The Xacto is no longer available but Olfa did have one. not sure if it is readily available but do know www.quiltingstencils.com still has some. It is about $5.95 and uses a flexible plastic. Not hard to do and can have many uses when no prepared stencil fits the space.
Old 02-06-2011, 10:11 AM
KR

I bought the Stencil Cutting Pen from Connecting Threads and have been very pleased with it. Plastic template sheets available at JoAnn's and Michaels.

http://www.connectingthreads.com/too...___D81155.html
Old 02-06-2011, 10:12 AM
Banned

A word about the burning stencil cutter.
After many years on the quilt show circuit, the overwhelming opinion from those who have this tool is that it is not satisfactory (I say this for those who might be considering buying one). I am told that it takes a long learning curve to satisfactorily use it. Since it melts the plastic as it cuts, the melted plastic balls up under the stencil and requires sanding to make it smooth. You have to use it very fast to prevent this. Now before anyone writes they use it successfully.....I'm only repeating what users have told me with the comment that they will never use it again. Demos at quilts shows make it look real easy but the demonstrator is skilled in its use.
Old 02-06-2011, 10:38 AM
KR

Originally Posted by Holice
A word about the burning stencil cutter.
After many years on the quilt show circuit, the overwhelming opinion from those who have this tool is that it is not satisfactory (I say this for those who might be considering buying one). I am told that it takes a long learning curve to satisfactorily use it. Since it melts the plastic as it cuts, the melted plastic balls up under the stencil and requires sanding to make it smooth. You have to use it very fast to prevent this. Now before anyone writes they use it successfully.....I'm only repeating what users have told me with the comment that they will never use it again. Demos at quilts shows make it look real easy but the demonstrator is skilled in its use.
Sorry to hear some found this tool unsatisfactory. I personally found it only took a little practice to get the feel for it and make smooth lines. Frankly, I think anyone who is used to doing crafty things would not have a steep learning curve here. And in my humble opinion, it sure beats using an X-acto knife!

Perhaps if someone is interested in a particular tool, she would ask a vendor/dealer if she could try it before purchasing, or at least inquire about the return policy if it didn't perform to her expectations. Just my thoughts.