View Single Post
Old 02-07-2011, 03:27 PM
EIQuilter

My family is well educated and every quilt I've given has been appreciated. Some are now well-worn with use, and that's okay, because I don't make them to be showpieces! That being said, though, I think we have to understand and accept that not everyone has the same love affair with quilts that we do. Yes, they take many hours and $$ and love, but that doesn't automatically make them a treasured item in everyone's eyes.

It's like any art - we have our own tastes and preferences. And if the recipient isn't someone who cares for items made by hand (whether it be quilts, wood carving, knitted/ crocheted items, watercolor paintings, etc.), that's their choice. Yes, it means a lot to us to make something for them, but if they don't accept the gift with the same enthusiasm, we shouldn't be upset about it. We shouldn't expect them to suddenly fall in love with a quilt just because we made it for them.

It hurts to give a gift and have it "rejected," so before I make a quilt for someone, I make sure it is someone who really does want one because they love the idea of having something I made and will appreciate the love and time put into it.