Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilts arent appreciated? >

Quilts arent appreciated?

Quilts arent appreciated?

Old 02-13-2011, 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by pumpkinpatchquilter
Originally Posted by bigsister63
You should be giving a gift to make the receipent happy not to get compliments for yourself. Do you feel the same way about no appreciation when you give a store bought gift that you may have spent a lot of money on?. What do you expect person to do - jump up and down when they receive you quilt. The quilt should be made with love and given with love with no other expectations. Sounds like you are giving gifts for the wrong reason.
As a matter of fact I do expect the recipient to jump up and down, and if they don't I snatch up the quilt and bring it back home with me. LMAO*

I think it can just be hurtful sometimes when you spend hours and hours on a quilt to find it wadded up and chewed on in the dogs pen. Don't you make an attempt to show people how much you appreciate the gift they gave you, hand made or not? Lol* I think that's just a nice thing to do. ;) Like setting out a photo frame someone gave you on the mantel so they know it's special to you when they come to visit. I certainly don't want to give any gift to anyone if they aren't going appreciate it...be it a quilt or a pack of pencils from the dollar tree! LOL*
I always try to show that I appreciate things that are giving to me or bought. I'm sorry but thats just being polite!
Old 02-13-2011, 09:02 AM

My horror story. I gave a large , colorful lap quilt that I spent a lot of time and creativity designing and machine quilting myself, embellishing, etc - you get the idea - to my best friend of 25 years.

She nailed it to the wall with 12 fat nails across the top.

NAILED IT TO THE WALL

NAILED IT TO THE WALL.

I had put a sleeve on the back, and had given her for Christmas a quilt hanging set (dowel and wood brackets) just a few months before specifically for her birthday quilt (the one I gave her) which she knew was coming. I had made other quilts for her so this was not a new thing for her. She had also just a few months before watched me make a wheelchair quilt over a weekened for her daughter's teacher, start to finish ... after which she said, "Wow - there is so much love and detail that goes into a quilt!" so she knew what it takes.

AND SHE NAILED IT TO THE WALL.

When I could speak again I asked her why she didn't use the dowel/bracket set she said it was too much of a hassle and that she'd decided to use it to hang a fancy large bath rug in the dressing area.

I ended the 25 year friendship a few months later with no regrets in the three years since.