Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilts arent appreciated? >

Quilts arent appreciated?

Quilts arent appreciated?

Old 02-09-2011, 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by pumpkinpatchquilter
Originally Posted by bigsister63
I ofter do kind things for other people just to see the smile on their face when something unexpecteded happens.
Aha! LOL* See, you do expect something! You anticipate at the very least a smile! ROTFL*** See, you're just as selfish of a giver as the rest of us. ;)
Yes but I will continue to do nice thing for that person even if I do not get a smile or thank you.
Old 02-09-2011, 06:02 PM

I am so sad that that so many have these hard feelings. We have all been hurt at one time. Quilting should bring pleasure. We have one income and very little money. I still find ways to make quilts that do not break the bank. I give all of them away,mostly to people I will never meet.
I am not saintly....far from it. It gives ME pleasure that some one will feel warm and loved. I like to play with the fabric,I can't keep making and not sharing. If I plan to make a great work of art that is very expensive that is my choice.If the person getting it does not do as I wish with it ,it is their choice.I will be sad but not angry.
You can NOT tell me that NONE of you have ever ACTED POORLY when the dream gift was not what you wanted.
Old 02-09-2011, 06:05 PM

If I give a gift and that person shares it with someone who likes it more I will not be upset.
If that makes them truely happy how can I complain?

Did any of you think that their pets are like children? Would you be upset if their child used it to cuddle up?
Old 02-09-2011, 06:09 PM

We are so self centered, Even My Self.

If you give Give with an open heart.

We should not be worshiped for our gifts. Thank you yes by all means but not praised to high heaven because we SPENT money which you can't take with you .Spent HOURS SLAVING
If you are slaving find another hobbie,please.
Old 02-09-2011, 06:13 PM

You can not put a price on a gift made with love!

I have sold quilts, giving them away makes me happier and probably a more relaxed quilter. Doing it for fun.

We are too caught up in money.
My family is broke with medical bills. But guess what ? sewing is cheaper then any other bad habit.
Old 02-09-2011, 06:28 PM

I handquilted a wedding gift for my secretary, 5 years later went to her house to see her new son, and there was the quilt lining the dog bed! Now I have dogs and love them dearly, and they sleep on my "mistakes", but I learned an important lesson that day.

I do not and never will give to anyone who does not know and appreciate the work that went into it. Only my immediate family gets handwork, everyone else gets machine.
End of story.
Old 02-09-2011, 06:32 PM

I know how you feel, for me I don't think people realize the thought and time it takes to pick fabric that suits each person. I made my mom a wall hanging a year ago and to this day it still isn't hanging or displayed anywhere. I find that I get more "thanks" and "appreciation" when I donate quilts.
Old 02-09-2011, 06:38 PM

I intend to make my father a quilt, knowing he probably won't like it. He never likes anything. I love to quilt though and will enjoy making his quilt and maybe I will get lucky and he will look twice at it! If not, oh well, I enjoyed the process!
Old 02-09-2011, 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by IBQUILTIN
There are two sides to every coin. You learn quickly which ones NOT to gift a quilt to. I have a DIL that not only wants a Queen Size quilt, she wants it in THESE colors, and This design, and can you have it done before summer? Nope, don't think I can find that turquoise you asked for
(Sure I can have it done. For 'custom ordered', Queen size quilts I charge $700.00. You can pay me now, so I can go find your material...) lol! :XD:
Old 02-13-2011, 08:40 AM
Power Poster

That is why I seem to make a lot of baby quilts for toddlers. They really love them to death.