Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilts arent appreciated? >

Quilts arent appreciated?

Quilts arent appreciated?

Old 02-09-2011, 05:33 AM

Originally Posted by MaryStoaks
My family loves their quilts but they think I whip them up at the drop of a hat (and free!).
you mean that you also get the
"mom, could you do another for so&so?"

I guess that answers the question as to whether they realize the time it takes to complete these projects......
Old 02-09-2011, 06:19 AM

Originally Posted by momto4
Does it make you feel sad when you give someone a quilt that you spent a lot of time (and money) on and they do not appreciate it or realize how much time you put into it. I only give quilts to people who are really important to me since they do take so much time and money. I obviously dont want to say ... do you realize i put x amount of hours and spent X on this for fabric and quilting, but sometimes feel like I should LOL. I know it isnt intentional and I didnt realize how much they cost or how many millions of hours us ladies spend on them before I started either!! Do your friends and family realize what goes in to making a quilt?
I'm sorry but I would say just that.
Old 02-09-2011, 06:37 AM

I have some who really appreciate the work, skill, effort, time, etc because they are artists or crafters themselves. I have some who have an idea the it takes quite a bit of effort and the appreciate the beauty of the quilt. I have some who cherish it because it was from me. And then there's my kids, lol. When I gift a quilt I pretty much know what the reaction will be and gift with that in mind.
Old 02-09-2011, 06:47 AM

I know that this topic has been discussed before with about the same responses. I am amazed at the attitude of so many people about only giving quilts to those that will appreciate them. how does one show appreciation? I want to say "shame on you". You all are not giving gifts in the correct spirit of giving. You should be giving quilts or other gifts because you want to share yourself with the receipant and not because you want a trophy. Gifts should have no strings attached or instruction on how to be used.You all sound like the kid who brought their jacks to the playground and then said " If you do not let me win then I am going to take my jacks and go home" As far as the hours spent ibn making quilts or any other handmade project - I figure my time is free since the how else would I be spending my time- Cleaning- I would rather be quilting!
Old 02-09-2011, 07:22 AM

Originally Posted by bigsister63
I know that this topic has been discussed before with about the same responses. I am amazed at the attitude of so many people about only giving quilts to those that will appreciate them. how does one show appreciation? I want to say "shame on you". You all are not giving gifts in the correct spirit of giving. You should be giving quilts or other gifts because you want to share yourself with the receipant and not because you want a trophy. Gifts should have no strings attached or instruction on how to be used.You all sound like the kid who brought their jacks to the playground and then said " If you do not let me win then I am going to take my jacks and go home" As far as the hours spent ibn making quilts or any other handmade project - I figure my time is free since the how else would I be spending my time- Cleaning- I would rather be quilting!
Well, you go ahead and wag your finger in shame at us. We're all grown ups here, we can take it. ;) I don't think there is a darn thing wrong with wanting some appreciation for doing something nice for someone. I think taking the time to make soemthing for someone is just as important as trying to give something the recipient would enjoy. I doubt a soul here who has given something ever thought that the recipient wouldn't enjoy it...but they have every right to feel let down when they discover that the gift wasn't enjoyed as they'd hoped.

I just don't believe for a second that you would spend hundreds of hours and hard earned dollars slaving over a quilt that you truly thought someone close to you would love and that you wouldn't be the least bit upset to find out they used to sop up the oil from the motor they pulled apart on it...and seriously if you comment back saying that you would be fine with that then lady, you are a saint and I hope you get your angel wings soon because I would be pissed.
Old 02-09-2011, 07:30 AM

Originally Posted by pumpkinpatchquilter
Originally Posted by bigsister63
Well, you go ahead and wag your finger in shame at us. We're all grown ups here, we can take it. ;) I don't think there is a darn thing wrong with wanting some appreciation for doing something nice for someone. I think taking the time to make soemthing for someone is just as important as trying to give something the recipient would enjoy. I doubt a soul here who has given something ever thought that the recipient wouldn't enjoy it...but they have every right to feel let down when they discover that the gift wasn't enjoyed as they'd hoped.

I just don't believe for a second that you would spend hundreds of hours and hard earned dollars slaving over a quilt that you truly thought someone close to you would love and that you wouldn't be the least bit upset to find out they used to sop up the oil from the motor they pulled apart on it...and seriously if you comment back saying that you would be fine with that then lady, you are a saint and I hope you get your angel wings soon because I would be pissed.
my sentiments exactly. I don't want glory for what I do but I like to be appreciated.....
Old 02-09-2011, 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by Dianne Lenore
It sounds like your mother-in-law really appreciates your quilts. Just give her a clue now and then
What a great perspective you have, and it would probably serve me well to think the way you do! ;) You're right, I should be flattered, because I know that she does love and appreciate the quilts I have made her...they are all on display at all times in her home and it makes me feel wonderful. Lol* I love her to death and one of these days I will make her that photo quilt. ;)
Old 02-09-2011, 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by momto4
Does it make you feel sad when you give someone a quilt that you spent a lot of time (and money) on and they do not appreciate it or realize how much time you put into it. . . . Do your friends and family realize what goes in to making a quilt?
When gifting a quilt, I sometimes attach a note telling them how much they should insure the quilt for. I have gifted some wedding quilts that cost $300 to $500 just for the longarm work, not to mention the fabric costing $100 or more. I have one quilt of my own that I spent about $800 making the thing. That one will not be a gift.

You can also get an appraisal and send a copy of that.
Old 02-09-2011, 08:31 AM

Wellllll, if you were a painter would you give one of yuur best works to be hung in the barn?? It's not really always that the gift is not appreciated, but that the recipient doesn't do any kind of hobby or handwork and simply doesn't have a clue about the hours and money spent. It seems silly to me to spend many, many hours making a quilt that, though maybe appreciated, is not taken care of or valued because of ignorance. It is not that we don't love these folks, just that we choose not to give them something that they don't understand or take care of. The people in my family who do not sew or do any hobbies are still given quilts, but I don't put so much work in them and thus am not upset if they are on the floor or in the car, or used for moving day. They are still quilts, the recipients do not feel left out, and they are still pretty and decorative and whatever they do with the is okay with me.
Old 02-09-2011, 08:54 AM

While we are on the subject of our quilts not being appreciated, just one of our granddaughters thanked us for their Christmas gifts, and that was the one that we have co-signed the loans on for her college education for the past 3 years. If she defaults we will have to pay about $50,000-$75.000. And we had decided that if we didn't hear from her with a thank-you then she would be financing next year's college without us. As it is, I'm glad the gifts were purchased, although with a lot of thought as to what each would like, and not with a lot of personal handwork involved. Next year they are all getting cards. We tried checks and we only knew they were received because they were cashed. When they lived at home the parents made sure the thank you's were sent, but now they are on their own and their manners are terrible. We are really disappointed grandparents. Going to lonly send gifts to the great-grandchildren from now on. Being unappreciated hurts.