Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilts arent appreciated? >

Quilts arent appreciated?

Quilts arent appreciated?

Old 02-08-2011, 10:11 PM
lue

Thus far, I've only given quits to my family and they love them! I'm not sure I'm even willing to give quilts to others (not just yet anyway) but if I do I will do my best to give them without expecting gratitude. That's HARD and I'm not sure I'm there yet.
Old 02-08-2011, 10:25 PM

I think it would be great to have people jump up and down for joy when they get one of my quilts but I don't expect that. Is a thank you too much to ask for? I made a baby quilt for a neighbor's grandbaby and got a very lukewarm response from her daughter. They have posted literally hundreds of pics of this baby online and not once has the quilt been in the picture - just lots of store bought blankets. And never a thank-you note of any kind - and it has been 4 months since the quilt was given. The next one was made for a co-worker of my DH. Another co-worker who is her best friend assured my DH that this person would love a baby quilt and saw the colors that were chosen. She said they were aperfect match for this persons nursery. The quilt was given a month ago and have not heard anything from the recipient. The next quilt on my list is a graduation gift for my niece. Her dad and grandmother both think she will love it. I am doing an easy pattern in colors from her bedroom. Something she can take to college with her in the fall. I'm hoping for a better response with this one. If not - in the future all my quilts will stay inside my house (with the exception of charity quilts) from now on!
Old 02-08-2011, 10:27 PM

My friends see all the time I put into my quilts,,,but I know some people do not even realize the cost involved either...I only giveto people who apprciate my work of art.
Old 02-08-2011, 11:29 PM

I think people do not realize the time and money that is put into any hand made craft unless they also do some type of craft. I do not think most have a clue as to the cost of fabric and supplies or the time spent in making a quilt.
Old 02-09-2011, 12:38 AM

Originally Posted by Rachel
Labels should read:

Fabric - $300.00
Time to make quilt - $1200.00
Showing us how much you apprecate what we made for you - priceless.
I like this one!

Kyia
Old 02-09-2011, 01:22 AM

I am probably wrong in thinking this... but I do want the quilts that I make to be loved by the recipients as much as I love them. Sooo, I learned a valuable lesson on here to either give FREELY with understanding they may not be or only gift to select few.

Probably the best thing so far I have heard was from my father....who was not gifted a quilt yet....When I gave his mother a lap quilt he said that he wanted one to fit his bed, not his lap. That made me feel good b/c then I know he will use it!!

Then at Christmas I made mug rugs for the family and gifted mugs too. He laid it across his chest and said it doesn't fit...maybe next Christmas. The Star Struck that I have posted pics of is for him, it's just taking forever to handquilt.

My oldest niece is excited for her. She has seen the fabric but it will be a graduation gift, which is three years away.

Kyia
Old 02-09-2011, 01:30 AM

yes... I gave a baby quilt... didn't even get a thankyou. I spent so many weeks making it, maybe months since I work.
Old 02-09-2011, 04:36 AM

you are all right -My sister-in-law received a double wedding ring quilt hand pieced by a 80 year old relative as a wedding present.I thought it was beautiful. 6 months after she had it I saw it covering the glider on her porch and she never took it in or cared for it. I was tempted to tell her if she didn't want it I would take it.
Old 02-09-2011, 05:02 AM

I only give to my family that appreciate the quilt and work. I have many quilts but just can't give them to people, to much work involved and also the cost. Sometimes I wonder when something happens to me, what will happen to my quilts?? So maybe I should rethink my thinking???
Old 02-09-2011, 05:09 AM

Originally Posted by mortinarose
I only give to my family that appreciate the quilt and work. I have many quilts but just can't give them to people, to much work involved and also the cost. Sometimes I wonder when something happens to me, what will happen to my quilts?? So maybe I should rethink my thinking???
My mother didn't give quilts to anyone until she knew she was dying. Then she had me come to her house and we had a quilt sorting day. She decided who each quilt was to go to and we labeled them accordingly. Don't leave it to chance! You don't want them sold at a garage sale or auction.