Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Computer keyboard problems. Any help appreciated! >

Computer keyboard problems. Any help appreciated!

Computer keyboard problems. Any help appreciated!

Old 01-03-2010, 08:16 PM
Power Poster

I am having problems with my keyboard anyone know anything about them? It is not letting me type and the letters are acting as shortcuts to things.
I know I have changed something accidentally but I don't know what.
Old 01-03-2010, 08:56 PM
Power Poster

How old is the keyboard ? Did you check to make sure it is plugged in snugly ? but do not unplug it while the computer is on, supposedly it can throw things off kilter :? Sometimes keyboards just go bad for now reason . Have you tried another keyboard ?
Old 01-03-2010, 09:10 PM
Power Poster

Yeah I went back to my old one because the new one I have only had a couple of months wouldn't even let me type. It just keeps sending me to a differant function for each key. It is like all the keys or most of them are now shortcuts instead of letters. I don't know what I did.

I just recently had a friend walk me through cleaning out my junk on my comp. So I have enjoyed a faster comp. Just a little while ago it started being slow again. I couldn't get Adobe photoshop to open at all. Then I noticed it wouldn't automatically switch screens. I would have to click on the tab above to go from one screen to the next. Then it was taking awhile for anything to load. Then nothing wanted to load. I checked the task manager and no help there. I closed everything I was working on and tried reloading my home page. Nothing got any better. Then I couldn't even type a single letter. It just kept opening up diff functions instead.
Old 01-03-2010, 09:17 PM
Power Poster

Have you ran your virus protection program ? Do you have a program installed to delete spyware ( usually different then virus protection ) ?
Old 01-03-2010, 09:34 PM
Power Poster

Could be a fault with your keyboard...if it is pretty new, I would try and contact the supplier and make a warranty claim.

Sometimes they get a little dusty etc. you could try unplugging it up end it and give it a few sharp but gentle bangs on the desktop...this dislodges anything that might be clogging up the works. It is surprising how much debris can build up.
Old 01-03-2010, 10:03 PM
Power Poster

It sounds like your computer is having problems too. I've had keyboards go bad but never like that.
Old 01-03-2010, 10:05 PM

i don't know what it is, i will ask our IT person tomorrow if you want me to.
Old 01-03-2010, 10:45 PM
Power Poster

I really like this keyboard but it is only a $12 one from Walmart. I went back to using my old one and don't have any problems so it has to be something in the keyboard.

I have experienced accidently hitting some shortcut keys so I wondered if I hit some sort of control change accidently.

I just installed new spyware and all that stuff. One of the kind ladies on here walked me through all the cleaning out the cache and all that stuff. Then she had me install the programs I needed for virus protection and all. I had McAffy but it wasn't doing much it seems. So I think I am ok on that point.

It seems to be in the keyboard. I didn't keep the directions for the keyboard so I will probably just go get another one. My old one the keys are so worn I can't tell what they are anymore.

Thanks everyone! Bettia if you want to ask someone go ahead. If I can undo whatever I did I would be ecstatic. I hate it when I don't know what I need to know to get things to work right!
Old 01-04-2010, 03:25 AM

Is it wireless? If so it sounds like the batteries!

I hate it when something goes wrong with my computer. :thumbdown:
Old 01-04-2010, 04:02 AM
Banned

Batteries if its wireless.