Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Computer keyboard problems. Any help appreciated! >

Computer keyboard problems. Any help appreciated!

Computer keyboard problems. Any help appreciated!

Old 01-04-2010, 04:18 AM

On your keyboard on the bottom row the key between alt and next to control is a key for the keyboard. Try using that.
Old 01-04-2010, 07:31 AM
Power Poster

Ok now this is crazy!! I picked it up to check the button between the contol and alt and now the keyboard that was not letting my type is now fine. But I still don't know why it wasn't working yesterday.

The button between the control and alt on the left is the start button and on the right is the same as right clicking my mouse.

I give up! If it happens again I guess I just wait and it will revert to normal given time?
Old 01-04-2010, 07:37 AM

When I kept ferrets, I was always amazed at the keyboard combinations they could come up with, running across the keys. Glad you worked it out
Old 01-04-2010, 07:45 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Moonpi
When I kept ferrets, I was always amazed at the keyboard combinations they could come up with, running across the keys. Glad you worked it out
Thanks Moonpi I can see the ferrets running across the keyboard! LOL My daughter had a ferret Missy. I was the only one who got her out much as she got older. She was a bit nippy but I enjoyed her. They do smell tho! Such inguisitive little things!
Old 01-04-2010, 08:42 AM
Power Poster

sometimes just shutting down your computer and re-booting fixes that. yep, you probably hit a key you didn't mean to. i had one at my last job that would do that to me.
Old 01-04-2010, 01:21 PM
Power Poster

Or maybe something was lodged in a key and your juggling it back and forth finally worked it out :thumbup:
Old 01-04-2010, 05:00 PM

I love the answer from Moonpi - we have a cat that "typed" some very strange combination on our computer and from then on the picture was upside down. Finally had to get a tech guy to come fix it. Took him about an hour!
Old 01-04-2010, 06:04 PM
Power Poster

If it affected just one or two keys I could see it being something stuck in the keyboard. But some keys just did nothing and about 3/4th of them did shortcut functions. I couldn't scroll it kept changeing the size of the text instead. I couldn't type at all. It wouldn't let me do anything. I tried rebooting no change. I tried looking for a tool that I could change the setting on. I occasionally have to go and reset the full screen back to reg. I tried looking at the task manager to see if something was running that i could close.

I never tried unplugging it and setting it aside. I never unplugged my old keyboard they are both still connected. So I just picked up the old one and used it. I lifted this keyboard and set it on a cooler behind my moniter and there it sat. I tried it the next morning and it worked fine again. I don't understand what happened or how it reversed whatever was wrong. I had tried every key on the keyboard hopeing to reset something but nothing happened. So I wouldn't think it was anything I pushed that reset it. No clue!
Old 01-06-2010, 12:18 PM

I'm guessing that one of the "Alt" or "Ctrl" keys is stuck. And I'm leaning toward the "Alt" key.
Old 01-06-2010, 01:10 PM

I'd bet that somehow the control key was stuck, and you jiggled it free when you checked the keyboard. That is the key that facitates a lot of functions on a keyboard.

Glad it is working better.