Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilts arent appreciated? >

Quilts arent appreciated?

Quilts arent appreciated?

Old 02-08-2011, 06:52 PM

Yea, everybody wants one but noone actually knows what is involved in making one.
Old 02-08-2011, 06:54 PM

Our family has people who LOVE the quilts and people who have no clue and would just as soon have a cheap blanket. Soooo, I make my quilts accordingly. For the ones that appreciate my work I do a lot more work on theirs and the others still get a quilt, but one with a lot less work because I know it may end up wrapped around a refrigerator when they move. It doesn't mean I don't love them all, it is just that I don't want to be upset when they are used for the dog or on moving day. Incidentally, my dog has her own quilt and she really appreciates it!
Old 02-08-2011, 07:12 PM

I make them for the enjoyment of making them. If I give one to someone who gets the spark of an idea of making them someday they'll find out what's involved if they do. If not, that's okay. So far I've not given one to anyone who doesn't seem to appreciate it.
Old 02-08-2011, 07:22 PM

I made my treasured older sister a quilt years ago before I knew what I was doing. She has had it on her bed ever since. I cringe when I see it, because it truly is awful. As soon as I finish the few I have on the pile to finish, I want to surprise her with one the snuggle with while she watches TV. I only give them to people who will love them, even if they love them to destruction. Everything else is sold or donated.
Old 02-08-2011, 07:36 PM

Count me in on the " I hope they jump up and down squeal with delight lol....But, honestly I don't think pumkinpatch said that meaning it literally. Just with humor (smile)
Maybe I'm wrong but, I think a lot of artists are like that...If I spend weeks transforming a room/custom faux, completely change someones haristyle or give a quilt/painting.. Seeing their breath actually catch or grab you in a big hug etc... Maan, It's seriously almost better than getting the money.

Dang it Jennifer, your story of your grandmom inlaw tearing up made me tear up lol..My hubby had the same reaction to his quilt ( hes sentimental to the extreme).. He folds it meticulously every night..Best feeling in the world that you've pleased someone that much..

And lmao Jolo..I really think your tag idea is a great one...You could do it so that its tactful, exmpl- Handmade- 1003 hours, made with love (unless you just want to make it for them,of course) or when a free quilt is requested, " Oh that would be great. Although, fabric has gone up to around 16.00 a yrd..pause... " I could make you a no sew blanket!.. or look for real pretty but a little lower quality fabric?
Old 02-08-2011, 07:42 PM

So far all of the quilts I have given as gifts have been appreciated they my not know the time,money,heart and soul that goes into them,but they all love me and feel special when I give them one.
One lesson I learned this past year is if you feel to make one for someone DO it,I had been thinking about making one for about 2 years for my dear brother and DSIL, kept putting it off,well in June my DSIL died in an auto accident,so I wondered if I should make one for DB,went to his home Christmas and seen he had moved his mattress in on the LR floor said he couldn't sleep in the BR yet and he was using the "Spider Man" quilt I had made for his youngest son about 4 years ago,lesson learned his is the next one to be made.
Old 02-08-2011, 08:57 PM

I only make quilts for people who want them, that I am willng to make one for. I let them pick out their focus fabric and from there, I tell them I will get the quilt done within a year. The surprise is getting the finished quilt designed by me. This has worked wonderfully . My son, my nephews, and a few friends who have had babies, have all shown deep appreciation for the work and emotional value of each quilt, and I'm happy to say they treasure them.

If I make a quilt for someone getting married or going off to college, then I either use a nice cheater cloth or a simple design (like irish chain) wth classic colors like white/blue, and I don't worry about it.

When I joined this board, there were a lot of posts about gifted quilts not being appreciated, and I realized that people's tastes are so diverse and my idea of beauty could make someone else cringe, so I do what I can to avoid being hurt by a recipient who would not appreciate the work and costs of making a quilt.

On that note, the oriental quilt I made for myself gets lots of wonderful comments, but a few have said they would have no use for a quilt like that. Those are the people who will NEVER get a quilt from me!

My favorite thing to happen is when someone asks me to make a quilt for them, and it is someone I wouldn't consider giving a quilt to, I always tell them prices start at $600, and it's great if someone I have made a quilt for, is present!

Diane
Old 02-08-2011, 08:58 PM

I started making quilts for the grandkids when they were babies, as they got older I learned that my daughter washed them in the washer weekly along with the sheets. I couldn't understand why they didn't last them very long, then I learned this lesson. I'm careful who I give to...or not give to. Plus, I was told that I am a piecer, not a quilter because I don't hand quilt...I pay to have somebody machine quilt it. That was a slap in the face. Especially, since it came from someone I had admired.
Old 02-08-2011, 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by JudyMN
I made a quilt last year for a bride. Her thank you note said, and I quote, "Thank you for the nice blanket." I fumed for months!
Reminds me of the picky bride that asked me to make her satin dress. Drove me crazy with changes, lost weight, etc. As she left to catch her plane to Reno to get married, she handed me an envelope with money in it, and said thanks. After the plane took off, I looked to find 10 crisp 1 dollar bills. I do not do weddings any more.
Old 02-08-2011, 09:46 PM

There are two sides to every coin. You learn quickly which ones NOT to gift a quilt to. I have a DIL that not only wants a Queen Size quilt, she wants it in THESE colors, and This design, and can you have it done before summer? Nope, don't think I can find that turquoise you asked for