Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilts arent appreciated? >

Quilts arent appreciated?

Quilts arent appreciated?

Old 02-08-2011, 03:57 AM

Most of my family and friends seem to really appreciate their gifts. Think we have to let go of thinking we have any control of another's reactions, it is what it is, do what you love and give thanks for the opportunity to do it, in the best country in the world!
Old 02-08-2011, 03:59 AM

Originally Posted by quiltlonger
I have a quilter friend who loves QVC shopping channel, she started using it for quilt color ideas and patterns now she buys her quilts there! Complains can't compete with a King size with free shams and tote for $39.00 with free shipping! and tole free call,,and about 20 minutes watching tv for the perfect quilt who can?? It is not only money and time it is the emotions I think we put into the quilt that makes it so much more valuable
Those quilts just don't look as beautiful to me.
Old 02-08-2011, 04:44 AM

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess
I usually don't gift quilts (or handmade anything) unless specifically requested. I have things I've made around the house and if somone admires them, I'll gift it then and there. I do give quilts to children and expect that they would much rather have a new game for their nintendo. Sometimes I'm pleasantly surprized. My mom always said that the gift is for the recipient, not the giver. So if I get an inkling they would rather have a gift card to Target, that's what they get. In my circle of sewing friends I hear so many stories of people being disappointed in the recipients reactions, from the same people over and over! One woman said that the entire time she was working on the quilt she thought about how happy the person was going to be when she gave it to her, and was disappointed. Don't know. I guess it's just me I think that some folks just set themselves up for disappointment. A quilt is a big investment in time and money for it to be given unrequested. OK you probably all hate me now!
Hate you? I don't think so ......... your comments are my thoughts exactly!
Old 02-08-2011, 04:55 AM

Quilting is my hobby and I do it for my own pleasure. I've given quilts to most of the family, a few friends and all new babies. They all seemed thrilled; but that wasn't the goal. It is just who I am and what I love to do. Now all my quilts go to a prayer quilt ministry at church.
Old 02-08-2011, 05:28 AM

I agree.....a quilted or handmade anything is made because I want to do it.Once it's done, it's out of mind, as I'm on to something else.
You have no control over a gift..a gift is gifted.Doesn't belong to me & what someone else does is not my affair.
Another way of finding who wants something is by e mail I'll send a note saying, I'm making a couple table runners,wall hangings ...etc in blue & green.Anyone want one of them?
I take no reply as a no.Fine with me, saves some work & money.:)

Originally Posted by Suzi
Originally Posted by PaperPrincess
I usually don't gift quilts (or handmade anything) unless specifically requested. I have things I've made around the house and if somone admires them, I'll gift it then and there. I do give quilts to children and expect that they would much rather have a new game for their nintendo. Sometimes I'm pleasantly surprized. My mom always said that the gift is for the recipient, not the giver. So if I get an inkling they would rather have a gift card to Target, that's what they get. In my circle of sewing friends I hear so many stories of people being disappointed in the recipients reactions, from the same people over and over! One woman said that the entire time she was working on the quilt she thought about how happy the person was going to be when she gave it to her, and was disappointed. Don't know. I guess it's just me I think that some folks just set themselves up for disappointment. A quilt is a big investment in time and money for it to be given unrequested. OK you probably all hate me now!
Hate you? I don't think so ......... your comments are my thoughts exactly!
Old 02-08-2011, 05:31 AM

I am a knitter as as a quilter...after spending most of a summer knitting my sister an alpaca scarf and hat, I asked her if she liked it. Her answer? "I don't think grey is my color!" Needless to say, that was the last thing I made her!
Old 02-08-2011, 05:33 AM

I only give my quilts to my kid and grandkids. When my teen Gson opened his, he said, "This is the best Christmas of my life!". Made this ol' Grandma shed a tear.
Old 02-08-2011, 06:08 AM

"As a matter of fact I do expect the recipient to jump up and down, and if they don't I snatch up the quilt and bring it back home with me. LMAO"

How sad! Then you are not giving the gift in the right spirit. I am one who jumps up and down when I get a handmade gift. But not all are the same. I quilt because I love the process. I have made quilts for my DG with LOVE and so they can be wrapped in my love to keep them warm. They can treat the quilts as they like because there is always fabric to make more. I also try to make gifts in colors that the person will like so as not to have them say "that is not my color or it doesn't go with my room." Share the spirit.
Old 02-08-2011, 06:12 AM

I don't think they know how much time goes into a quilt!
It's when it's sent by a 3rd party & you never get a thenk you for it.
That hurts!!
Old 02-08-2011, 06:17 AM

This will make u throw up I saw my brother a couple a years ago laying under his car working on it like draining his oil or something stupid like that on a quilt my step-dads mother had made it had vintage material in it like from the 30's and 40's and I like went nuts. I know he new that was not your normal every day blanket but he says he didnt know. Any way she is no longer with us and the quilt was really light in color it had like a lot of yellows and believe it or not red too, but I was able to save it, It is like between a single and a full size, it rest in peace now in my daughters cedar chest.