Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilts arent appreciated? >

Quilts arent appreciated?

Quilts arent appreciated?

Old 02-07-2011, 04:09 PM

I am very fortunate in that my entire family is very appreciative of my handmade items and love all the quilts I've been making for them. My family is so large, I've had to stop making for Nieces & Nephew's, but even they tell me they still have all I've given them over the years. We've always given handmade items for holidays & last year replaced a teddy bear I'd made that had been loved to death years earlier.
Old 02-07-2011, 04:11 PM

What someone suggested is to keep track of how many hours you spend on a quilt. Then include that on the label. Helps give the person some idea of the time factor.
Old 02-07-2011, 04:23 PM
Power Poster

I have only given a few quilts away to immediate family except for baby quilts, those I have made for friends. For the most part I have had a VERY positive experience with gifting my quilts and the recipients were always enthusiastic when opening the gifted quilt. And yes, I know that is not the"true" spirit of gifting to get an enthusastic reception of the gift but we invest so much of ourselves in our quilts it would break my heart to see one tossed aside like so much disposable crap so prevalent in today's society. As a result, I do think long and hard before gifting. I think the biggest problem with most non quilters is they have seen the el cheapo slave labor made in China quilts for sale so cheap they think it is nothing for us to make them and there is still that mentality out there that things can be home made or hand crafted for even less expense then the el cheapo slave labor made in china. I am sure their jaws would drop if they ever set foot in a fabric shop or LQS at the price of fabric!
The best response I got was from DMIL. She said to me "this is such a special gift because someone loved me enough to make me a quilt" I couldn't ask for a better response.
Old 02-07-2011, 04:31 PM

I only wish that someone in my family would make something handmade for me. I would treasure the item forever. they have no clue what goes into quilts.
Old 02-07-2011, 05:12 PM

I think it was on the Quilting Board where one lady said she made a quilt and took it to a friend in the hospital. The friend later told her casually that it was too heavy so she gave it to a nurse!!! And then had the nerve to ask for another one for one of HER cousins!!! Then was shocked when told how long it took to make and how much it cost the giver.
If you're here today, please chime in with any follow up. This irritated me no end, this sort of person is...(put your own words here.)
I'm making a lap quilt for my sister to donate to her Moose Lodge for charity..simply because she picked up one I was working on and went over it carefully, remarking on how much work it must have taken to do this and that and what pretty matching this and that...all from a lady who has many talents, but probably can't sew on a button!!! I still over my sister anyway!!
Old 02-08-2011, 02:17 AM

Same with me.I don't give quilts to ppl who've never seen me working on one. Cuts the list WAY down. :) :)

Originally Posted by sueisallaboutquilts
I really don't expect non-quilters to understand what goes into a quilt.
My family love and appreciate them. They get the quilts!! :D
Old 02-08-2011, 02:49 AM

Quilt in my avatar was given to fav niece for her wedding. I let her know how much it cost to make and the time it took. She will treasure it because it came from her fav Aunt. There are several relatives patiently waiting for their quilts. And they will appreciate the gift as well as the time it took the giver (me) to make.
Old 02-08-2011, 02:49 AM

It is painful when we work so hard to share with others. If you give only to get a thank you, you are doing it for the wrong reason. Give of your heart.
I have found many charities who are pleased to have a hand made quilt. A gift of love for people that we don't even know.
I get joy of thinking how I would feel if a perfect stranger gave a gift of love.
Charities have healed my angry heart for being hurt by thoughtless family members. Now I give with an open heart again.
Don't Give Up Family will come around and If not there are so many who will jump for joy that there are still goodness in this world.
Old 02-08-2011, 03:02 AM

Years ago when DD was expecting our only Grdaughter,she took up crochet & X stitch.I have a pillow cover she made with a family verse on it,plus a crocheted tree skirt, both she made for us.Grdaughter is grown & to this day, I wouldn't take anything for those gifts.The pillow is on a sofa & the tree skirt is used as a table topper during holidays.Other DD & family doesn't do handmade,but they do love my gifts.
PS....DD returned to work & never had time for making anything.

Originally Posted by sewingsuz
I only wish that someone in my family would make something handmade for me. I would treasure the item forever. they have no clue what goes into quilts.
Old 02-08-2011, 03:40 AM

Some do and some don't, that is just the way the cookie crumbles. You learn by giving. If the recipient is greatful and loves your quilt, or runner, or wall hanging, then you give more. If the response is cool, forget it, they don't appreciate what was given, so give no more "made by me" to them. You can't take it personally, just learn by experience.