View Single Post
Old 02-09-2011, 03:27 PM
marknfran

Originally Posted by quiltinghere
I went to the post office to mail 2 small 'packages'.

Envelope #1 contained one 6 1/2" block and the 7" x 8 1/2" envelope was flat.
Envelope #2 contained a few FQ and some other small fabrics and the envelope was 'thick'.

I could mail #2 as first class and apply delivery confirmation.
I could not mail #1 as first class and get delivery confirmation - *because it wasn't thick enough*. I had to step up to Priority for $4.95 and then I could get delivery confirmation. I was told that people actually put cardboard or something in these flat envelopes to make them thicker so that they could be mailed 1st class.

This does NOT make sense - why are things so complicated.
My experience today: These are business size envelopes. Envelope #1 had 10 five inch squares in it and just weighed in at .9 of an ounce...barely thin enough and went for $.44. Good. Now the Envelope #2 had 12 five inch squares in it and weighed 1.1 ounces; however it could not go for $.61 because it had a bump in the middle so she sent it parcel post for $1.39. WOW!!! However, today in the mail I received an envelope with 11 squares in it with correspondence (the envelope was about 5X8inches) and the postage on it was $.61. No bulge. The clerk told me to avoid any kind of a bulge! So, guess I will make myself some envelopes from my leftover 8Xll l/2 sheets from the printer and just put a mark through the side I used and fold it so the plain side is outside. There is no way that the post office is going to keep burning me with outrageous prices!!!