View Single Post
Old 02-09-2011, 09:28 PM
oarai

Hello! I'm new around here, but I'm in need of opinions on something, so I thought I would ask some of you who are more knowledgeable about these things for advice.

See, here's the thing. I've got this quilt top made many years ago by my great grandmother. My mother has ended up with several of them, and they're mostly just packed up in boxes or in storage, because until I decided to learn how, there was no one else in the family who could do anything with them.

Squares quilt by unkrikkett, on Flickr

Squares quilt by unkrikkett, on Flickr

As you can see (apologies for the not-great quality of them, I was trying to get shots so I could get it folded up and stashed away before Mom saw), it's pretty much just squares on top of squares, and in need of a bit of repair before much can be done.

Now, my current plan is to try and fix it up and finish it out into something usable for my mother for Mother's Day, since she did not get any of Great-Grandma's finished quilts.

My big question is would this even be feasible? I'm not entirely sure of the age of the top, so I don't want to stress it out too much if I shouldn't.

Of course, is it even feasible? Would I be better off leaving it as-is, and not trying to finish off something like this? Second thoughts and good intentions and all of that.