Thread: Hairspray
View Single Post
Old 02-10-2011, 01:21 AM
Sandy-lou

Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
Originally Posted by Butterflyblue
I have no idea if it would be bad for the fabrics over the long term, but those chemicals are the same ones women everywhere spray on their heads, so if you're worried about it in a quilt (AFTER washing) you probably shouldn't use it on your hair, either. And if hair spray is used on art, it is never washed (because washing would definitely damage a charcoal sketch).

Of course hair spray is flammable! Didn't you ever use it to make a flame thrower when you were a kid? Never mind, don't answer that, I'm probably the only one.
as a hairdresser I just had to laugh at this....we used to joke about the old days when you could smoke in the salon and the lady would light up just as you wanted to SPRAY her...

using hairspray on your hair is NOT the same thing as using it on fabric...#1 fabric made with cotton is considered a living fiber because it absorbs what ever you put on it...washing it does NOT remove all the residues of those chemicals...
#2- your hair is A-washed more frequently, B- oily so it does not get absorbed, C- it does leave a build up over time, ask your hair dresser...hairspray is one of the worst things you can do to your hair, comes after using any HOT iron on it!

I know people will do what they want, but you can try to learn more about what chemicals you are using, because not all of your quilts will go on to live in your home...those used for charity, gifts, etc, might go to a home where those chemicals will be an issue!
I agree with Jacqui, I am a Hairdresser with 45 years+ in the industry.