Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Hairspray

I don't know where I read this - could have been on this board. It was about cheap hairspray and using it instead of temporary adhasive spray. I bought the cheapest I could find and tried it on a small lap quilt. It worked fine. Of course, it washed out with no problem. I'm going to try it on a larger piece to see if it holds just as well , but it does seem to be sticky enough. As you know it's waay cheaper than a "proper" basting spray!!
    If this was a posting by a board member then, thankyou very much.

Blog Entries
    So, what brand did you use?

what a great idea. We know that washes out!

Blog Entries
    Try some on scraps first :D:D:D
    Remember using hair spray to take out ink? It may also work to remove dye from fabric :wink:

That's so funny Amma....that was my first thought too! I have used it to take out ink many times and it works great so you have to wonder....hmmmm...be careful. Cool idea though!!

Quote Originally Posted by amma
    Remember using hair spray to take out ink? It may also work to remove dye from fabric :wink:

Blog Entries
    It is flamable so be careful.

Quote Originally Posted by amma
    LOL you read my mind. After I read the initial post I thought of the same thing and how irrate someone would be if that happenned!

Explosive blessings, abundance and inspiration to you all!
    - The Creative Seamstress

Blog Entries
    oh..well thsta is a good idea....I am wondering wouldn't any spray adhesive be flammable as well?

Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    Great tip. Thanks!
    I agree with Charisma, wouldn't they all be flammable??

Blog Entries
    Hey, cotton fabric is flammable. I lit a selvedge the other day and it went up in flames.

funny thread

I've also wondered about making baby quilts with nice pristine cotton without the added fire retardant chemicals. Yuk. What to do?

Check the main ingredient in 505 Spray and then the main active ingredient in Aqua Net hairspray. Exactly the same ingredient. Also from the back of the 505 Spray can: Caution: Extremely Flammable.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    You do realize that you have no real way of knowing if all those chemicals did wash out right.....

Blog Entries
    Thanks for the tip. I've never used a basting spray before but I learned something about taking out ink stains.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by myreda
    Check the main ingredient in 505 Spray and then the main active ingredient in Aqua Net hairspray. Exactly the same ingredient.
    No way! Seriously?????

Thank you for sharing the idea.

I did not know it could double as basting spray but I use it to keep my chalked stencil marks from disappearing when using my longarm. I spray the small area and then stencil...it makes the chalk stay in place. I am going to try that. I buy Aqua Net at .99 a can at Wally World.
    Michelle G.in El Paso

Blog Entries
    That is a wonderful idea. Those spray on adhesives are so messy and are hard to wash off if you get it on your hands. Point: I had used a spray adhesive on a project. Shampooed my hair, then proceeded to blow dry it. The residue from the spray on adhesives was still on my hands and some on this transferred to my hair dryer. To this day, I've been unable to get it off. Found that nailpolish remover works best, but even that takes several applications.

I believe there is lacquer in those sprays. It won't wash out regardless of how many time an article is washed. And to believe that, if it was incinerated, it would be like a stick of dynamite.

Almost any aerosol is going to be flammable. I wonder if using a pump spray would work as well.

What you all are saying is that we are putting flammable spray on our hair then.

Quote Originally Posted by kathome
    Quote Originally Posted by myreda
    Check the main ingredient in 505 Spray and then the main active ingredient in Aqua Net hairspray. Exactly the same ingredient.
    No way! Seriously?????
    Yes I am serious. I was surprised also.

Quote Originally Posted by Dodee
    What you all are saying is that we are putting flammable spray on our hair then.
    Yes it IS flamable. Many years ago i worked in a hair salon-back in the days when people could smoke anywhere. We would not spray a client's hair while they were smoking.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    we used to hairspray as a fixative on art works...especially on charcoal drawings...over time it would ruin the art...just because it lists the same ingredient as the basting spray does mean that it is the same in ratio...nor does it mean that ALL of the ingredients are listed..by law only the active ingredient needs to be listed!

Well, hmmm... I had a couple of thoughts... if you use any kind of spray adhesive, it will leave chemicals in your fabric. However, washing the fabric after basting is the best way to deal with that! What is the difference in using hairspray, adhesive or other chemicals, like, say, laundry detergent? Don't ALL of those things leave chemicals behind? (fragrance, softness, etc,) Yes, it is flammable...so is nail polish remover, and even vegetable oil!
    I personally think that this is a great idea! Cheaper and easier to use and remove.
    We are careful with other chemicals in our lives, so I guess my point is this- (to the doom-sayers) use what you want to use, be open to new ideas and realize that you can learn something from everyone you come in contact with.
    I love being part of this amazing group of smart, creative people. Thanks for the tip!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast