Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Hairspray >

Hairspray

Hairspray

Old 02-09-2011, 06:53 AM

What you all are saying is that we are putting flammable spray on our hair then.
Old 02-09-2011, 07:50 AM

Originally Posted by kathome
Originally Posted by myreda
Check the main ingredient in 505 Spray and then the main active ingredient in Aqua Net hairspray. Exactly the same ingredient.
No way! Seriously?????
Yes I am serious. I was surprised also.
Old 02-09-2011, 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by Dodee
What you all are saying is that we are putting flammable spray on our hair then.
Yes it IS flamable. Many years ago i worked in a hair salon-back in the days when people could smoke anywhere. We would not spray a client's hair while they were smoking.
Old 02-09-2011, 08:35 AM
Banned

we used to hairspray as a fixative on art works...especially on charcoal drawings...over time it would ruin the art...just because it lists the same ingredient as the basting spray does mean that it is the same in ratio...nor does it mean that ALL of the ingredients are listed..by law only the active ingredient needs to be listed!
Old 02-09-2011, 08:39 AM

Well, hmmm... I had a couple of thoughts... if you use any kind of spray adhesive, it will leave chemicals in your fabric. However, washing the fabric after basting is the best way to deal with that! What is the difference in using hairspray, adhesive or other chemicals, like, say, laundry detergent? Don't ALL of those things leave chemicals behind? (fragrance, softness, etc,) Yes, it is flammable...so is nail polish remover, and even vegetable oil!
I personally think that this is a great idea! Cheaper and easier to use and remove.
We are careful with other chemicals in our lives, so I guess my point is this- (to the doom-sayers) use what you want to use, be open to new ideas and realize that you can learn something from everyone you come in contact with.
I love being part of this amazing group of smart, creative people. Thanks for the tip!
Old 02-09-2011, 08:43 AM

You are using this instead of spray adhesive..... clever
Old 02-09-2011, 08:46 AM

Good tip. I purchased some 505 but one of the ingredients is Ether. I am extremely allergic to Ether so have been hesitant to use it. I'll try the hair spray on the placemats I am making.
Old 02-09-2011, 08:47 AM

I have been a drug/alcohol counselor for a long time and often warn parents about household items that kids use to get high (known as inhalants). If you will read the back of the aerosol can, you will see that they are flammable because they contain propane and/or butane. I have some cans in my house that say the propellant is DME. I checked it out and that is a form of ether and it too is extremely flammable. The actual product many also contain dangerous chemicals, but it is usually the propellant that is flammable. Did you know that the propellant in whipped cream is nitrous oxide (laughing gas)?
Old 02-09-2011, 08:50 AM

I have no idea if it would be bad for the fabrics over the long term, but those chemicals are the same ones women everywhere spray on their heads, so if you're worried about it in a quilt (AFTER washing) you probably shouldn't use it on your hair, either. And if hair spray is used on art, it is never washed (because washing would definitely damage a charcoal sketch).

Of course hair spray is flammable! Didn't you ever use it to make a flame thrower when you were a kid? Never mind, don't answer that, I'm probably the only one.
Old 02-09-2011, 08:52 AM

Must have been a permanent pen baby son used on a crewel work done by my sister in law cause the aqua net did not work on it ! Ugh