Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Hairspray >
  • Hairspray

• Hairspray

Old 02-09-2011, 08:56 AM

Remember if you girls use the hairspray on ink stains it will run so try and not use a lotof it. You allwere reading my mind as well so I agree with you all.
    Old 02-09-2011, 09:10 AM

I have a question about the hair spray idea and also the regular basting spray - Has anyone ever heard if this spraying harms our sewing machines? I have been wondering about that since I started quilting. I know none of us want to do anything to harm our valued-much-loved machines.
    Old 02-09-2011, 09:13 AM

Wow! That is a great tip because basting spray is so expensive. I always do mine in the garage with the door open so that I get good ventilation. I worked in a chemistry lab for most of my career. If you follow safety precautions when using chemicals no harm should come to you. But if you have respiratory problems, don't use chemical sprays. I'm 65 and healthy as a horse.
    Old 02-09-2011, 09:16 AM

Funny, when I read the words "cheap hair spray" I thought of Aquanet. No wonder it's been around forever. 505 is so expensive. I'm going to give this a try. Also, we've been told to take the 505 outside. But who goes outside (into the wind) to spray their hair?
    Old 02-09-2011, 09:18 AM

I've never used a basting spray either, do you spray and press or just spray and stick??????DUH
    Old 02-09-2011, 09:22 AM

I would be leery of the hair spray because it does so well on removing ink what will it do to the fabric dye. I have found a spray glue that works well in the craft section . It states it is permanent but not washable, I used it on a small project and it allows you to adjust the fabric just like the temporary one is. I am not home so I am unable to tell you the name of it but it is a major glue brand & found where the regular glues are not in the quilting or notions sections.
    Old 02-09-2011, 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by bamamama
    I've never used a basting spray either, do you spray and press or just spray and stick??????DUH
    Just spray and it sticks. It is movable though. You can take it apart and put it back down again.(without respraying). Works very well. I have not tried the hair spay yet.
    Old 02-09-2011, 10:02 AM

To the OP great idea!

I used so much Rave back in the 90's that surley to god if it didn't eat its way into my brain its not going to kill my fabric!

As for it being flammable. 99% of stuff in any home is flammable! I don't worry to much about sprays/cleaners being flammable since I don't make it a habbit of walking around with open flames anymore!
    Old 02-09-2011, 10:19 AM
    Banned

Originally Posted by Butterflyblue
    I have no idea if it would be bad for the fabrics over the long term, but those chemicals are the same ones women everywhere spray on their heads, so if you're worried about it in a quilt (AFTER washing) you probably shouldn't use it on your hair, either. And if hair spray is used on art, it is never washed (because washing would definitely damage a charcoal sketch).

Of course hair spray is flammable! Didn't you ever use it to make a flame thrower when you were a kid? Never mind, don't answer that, I'm probably the only one.
    as a hairdresser I just had to laugh at this....we used to joke about the old days when you could smoke in the salon and the lady would light up just as you wanted to SPRAY her...

using hairspray on your hair is NOT the same thing as using it on fabric...#1 fabric made with cotton is considered a living fiber because it absorbs what ever you put on it...washing it does NOT remove all the residues of those chemicals...
    #2- your hair is A-washed more frequently, B- oily so it does not get absorbed, C- it does leave a build up over time, ask your hair dresser...hairspray is one of the worst things you can do to your hair, comes after using any HOT iron on it!

I know people will do what they want, but you can try to learn more about what chemicals you are using, because not all of your quilts will go on to live in your home...those used for charity, gifts, etc, might go to a home where those chemicals will be an issue!
    Old 02-09-2011, 12:31 PM

What about the spray starch as a "glue"? Does that work? I actually have never used any of these methods & do not want the flame retardant fabrics either. Too many chemicals & don't have grandchildren who are near open flames either. All have central heat/ac homes. More concerned about them sleeping & wearing clothing treated with such chemicals than them catching on fire.