View Single Post
Old 02-10-2011, 04:14 AM
Candy Apple Quilts

Originally Posted by Rose L
I would finish it too. Its beautiful!

The important thing is to have the fabrics held down well enough that they won't shift around and rub which would damage the fibers faster. Ties can have the tendency to allow to much shifting if they are spaced too far apart. They can also cause pulling at the places where they are placed and over time that can cause damage to the fabric fibers. It really depends on how you plan to use it in the future. Will it just lay on a bed as an attractive cover but not be slept under? Will it see daily duty? Will you display it in some way? The answers to questions like this should help to lead you in the appropriate direction.

Rose
I agree with Rose..... the ties can allow too much shifting, especially during the laundering process. When you pick your batting, check the bag to see how far apart they recommend quilting --- if it's recommended every 4 inches, and your ties are further apart than that.... you'll really be disappointed when you wash your quilt.

Do you have someone near you with a longarm machine? I would do a meander on your quilt, because it will keep those fabrics safe and still look appropriate on your quilt. And you'll still be able to finish your gift by Mother's Day!