Thread: Hairspray
View Single Post
Old 02-10-2011, 04:54 PM
Parrothead

Originally Posted by dljennings
Originally Posted by ann31039
Originally Posted by Texasjunebug
I've also wondered about making baby quilts with nice pristine cotton without the added fire retardant chemicals. Yuk. What to do?
my dad was a textile chemist. he told me that once something was washed in detergent, it removed the flame retardant, so that doesn't matter. it's just a sales gimmick. they were required to use it on government orders for the tent cloth and stuff.
when i was a kid, we were at the lake with another family.. all us kids were doing sparklers (the firework things on a stick) one of the kids jammies caught fire... brand new, flame retardant, never been washed. of course she ran, and it fed the flames... my dad tackled her & dropped her into the lake to make sure the fire was out..then he drove her & her parents to the hospital. she had 2nd degree burns over about 60 % of her body... she had to have multiple surgeries over the years...

so much for flame retardant... just a gimmick to make you feel safer.
But children's clothes are not flame retardant, just sleepwear. My children did not play in their jammies. They had their bath, we read a story and they went to bed. And they got dressed first thing except at Christmas. That was the way I was raised and I guess I followed my Mother's lead. So it seems to me that children have more of a chance of being around flames in their play clothes. Shhhh don't tell the government, they will make another regulation. Do you think China is really using the correct retardant on their fabric?