Old 02-15-2011, 07:34 AM
JudyG

Originally Posted by davidwent
wow, I think this is way above my skill level
David
David, this star really isn't difficult at all. I did it two different ways to see what worked well. The first I did as regular paperpiecing (of which I am not a big fan) and then I did it using the freezer paper method where you fold the pattern on the stitching lines and then sew right next to the paper. There is no paper to be removed and I found it worked lots better for me. I found a tutorial for those who haven't done the freezer paper method that you might want to look at. It is at

http://www.twiddletails.com/store/in...age=page&id=21

The only tricky part I found with this star is that when you stitch the #5 pattern piece you need to make sure that it is high enough to cover the point of the star or you'll be doing some reverse sewing (ask me how I know!). As a matter of fact, when cutting your strips for this star, I think I would cut that #5 piece just a little bit longer than Jerrie's instructions.

Also, when sewing the pieces together into the blocks, I pressed the seams open and it helped a lot with all the fabric coming together in the middle.

Other than that, it was an easy star to make, not nearly as hard as it looks.