Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
FEB 15 2011 STARS BOM - DIRECTIONS AND DISCUSSION >

FEB 15 2011 STARS BOM - DIRECTIONS AND DISCUSSION

FEB 15 2011 STARS BOM - DIRECTIONS AND DISCUSSION

Old 02-27-2011, 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by Cornish Maid
Oh help! I'd never heard of paper piecing before - being English I thought it meant English paper piecing - you know, the little hexagons all sewn together. So I have two questions as I gird up my loins to get started!

1. On the cutting sheet there is a 1" square drawn, but when I printed it out that 1"square was 7/8th" out. Does that mean that all the pattern pieces will be out too, and my finished block will be too small? How can I correct this? I have printed it out at 101% (as it displays on computer) rescaled to 100%, still the same and rescaled to 103% and still the same problem.

2. How do you cut out the fabric? I usually use a rotary cutter. I see there are some sizes on the cutting instructions, do they include the seam allowance? Or do you just grab a big piece of fabric, pin it on and trim afterwards - isn't that going to waste loads?

Sorry if these questions seem so obvious, but can you guess I have no idea how to do this, (that's after watching the tutorials!) Hope some of you are still reading this bit of the board cos I really would like to learn this method. Thanks.
Cornish Maid, I am sorry you're having problems getting this to print right. I am not sure what to tell you if rescaling isn't working. I know a lot of people had problems with the Jan 1 house BOM and there were lots of different instructions in that thread about rescaling and getting the pattern to print out right. You might try looking through that thread. It is
http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-86667-1.htm
Hopefully there will be something there that will help you.

You can either cut the fabric with a rotary cutter or with scissors. Jerrie has provided the sizes you need for the different pieces in this month's star. Some people have said the pieces are a little scant, so you might want to cut them just a touch bigger. The sizes Jerrie has provided do include the seam allowances.

Quilter's Cache has a tutorial on regular paperpiecing. You can look at it here:
http://www.quilterscache.com/StartQu...tingthree.html

Hopefully this will be of help to you. Let us know if you need more help.
Old 02-27-2011, 05:53 PM

Judy and Cornish Maid,
When I printed mine I also had that issue. So, I added the difference to the size of the pattern plus the scant 1/4" seam allowance. This seemed to work for me.
Old 02-27-2011, 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by Rainybug
Judy and Cornish Maid,
When I printed mine I also had that issue. So, I added the difference to the size of the pattern plus the scant 1/4" seam allowance. This seemed to work for me.
Thanks for the tip. :P
Old 02-27-2011, 07:46 PM

Thanks for the tip. :P[/quote]

:lol: :P :-P :lol:
:thumbup:
Old 02-28-2011, 03:24 AM

Rainybug, when you added the extra 1/8th of inch how did you do it? Did you put it on just one side of each piece cos that would make it wonky??? If you addd it to all sides of each piece would that make it too big?? Did you add it where the dotted line for the seam allowance is? Oh, feeling confused and not having done any PP before I won't know what it is meant to be like!
Old 02-28-2011, 03:38 AM

JudyG you've given me the solution!! I read thru the january house BOM and as a result tried printing from a different browser (was using Firefox, switched to Safari) and bingo a perfect 1" square! (Should've known my trusty Mac would do it right!) Thanks everyone for the help, now I don't have any excuses and am going to actually have to start making the ruddy thing. oooeeerrr!
Old 02-28-2011, 07:07 AM

JudyG you've given me the solution!! I read thru the january house BOM and as a result tried printing from a different browser (was using Firefox, switched to Safari) and bingo a perfect 1" square! (Should've known my trusty Mac would do it right!) Thanks everyone for the help, now I don't have any excuses and am going to actually have to start making the ruddy thing. oooeeerrr!
We'll be waiting to see your star.
Old 03-01-2011, 09:20 AM

Rainybug, when you added the extra 1/8th of inch how did you do it? Did you put it on just one side of each piece cos that would make it wonky??? If you addd it to all sides of each piece would that make it too big?? Did you add it where the dotted line for the seam allowance is? Oh, feeling confused and not having done any PP before I won't know what it is meant to be like!
I added to all sides , had extra to work with but that is better than not enough!