Old 01-12-2009, 06:16 AM
Lynda in TN

I go wandering thru craft shows, etc., and am awed by the prices. On my budget, I can't afford most earrings, much less a quilt. And for so long I thought they just charged outrageous prices because it was "hand crafted" and they could. Then I learned to quilt. Even with cheap fabric and tying a quilt, there is a LOT of money in it...so a good quilt, quilted by hand or machine, is worth big bucks. I have made several tied quilts out of good fabric. I have only given two away...one to my son, who doesn't use it "because he's afraid he'll ruin it" so it lays over in a corner folded up. I don't know what the grandson did with his. I am told he uses it and really likes it. And he did thank me as if he liked it (at only 13 years old). His was painstakingly done to replace a little blanket he carried around as a kid until it was in rags...and probably still has. John Deere. Beautiful quilt. But I truly have no one to give one to who would appreciate it. I did, however, sell one to a friend. Actually, my quilt teacher/friend sold it to her...I could not have charged her for it and would not have known what to charge. It was a simple but beautiful quilt as you go string quilt with a beautiful back (two sided, actually). She paid $300 for it and she cherishes it...won't even let her hubby get romantic till she takes it off the bed! I cherish my quilts. Unfortunately, I don't know anyone else who would.