Old 01-12-2009, 01:41 PM
Janeen
Banned

we were watching Antiques Roadshow last night and it occurred to me that in the last 50 years very little has been made that is a 'treasure'...

there are a gazillion furniture stores - one on every corner, full of pressed-wood furniture that is pitched out in the trash, and something new gotten - look at 'Rooms to Go', the way they advertise you should replace your furniture every 6 months or so - get tired of it? buy new

All kinds of glassware, dishes, silverware - very inexpensive - use it for a year or so - pitch it - get new, break it? don't worry about it, you can get a whole new set for $9.99

tired of the color scheme in your bathroom or bedroom? run to wallyworld and get a whole new 'look' for under two hundred dollars - no big deal..

have you watched "House Hunters" lately? talk about spoiled people - "oh, we need at least 2500 square feet for the FOUR of us"... sickening... and then they walk through and make nasty remarks about the flooring - "oh this tile/linoleum/whatever has to go and the cabinets are terrible" - we'd rip those out right away - then they spend more on refurbishing than we spent on our HOUSE!

it's into that mindset that you are gifting a quilt - and it would be the same with a painting or handblown glass - it doesn't mean anymore than the blanket from wallyworld...

sad commentary - and look at the current world-wide crises - all because we've raised a generation that expects to throw away and replace at the drop of a hat - and the whole thing comes tumbling down if they don't....

I was raised by people who survived the depression - we learned to make something last - I still have problems throwing away something that "might come in handy someday" :lol: .....