View Single Post
Old 02-19-2011, 10:24 AM
deplaylady

I love batiks - and those that technically are really more of a wax-resist type design. But - a big but - a lot depends on the fabric itself. I don't like the loosely woven cheaply made stuff. I love the soft fabric that might cost a little more. I've gotten a lot on sale, a lot at Marden's (super place!) and even bought full price if it's something I really loved (like the border to the first quilt picture I'm posting.) I've recently pared down my stash of everything to fabric I love and my actually someday use (still hundreds of yards) in an effort to organize my work space. If the batiks you are seeing are stiff and hard - maybe its the material. But, maybe you may just not like the looks. My daughter loves them - as you can see below - she not only claimed the mystery quilt I made a year ago (first photo), she had her aunt make her a batik quilt to hang on her wall. She's expecting, and if I get up enough gumption, I saw a baby quilt called "Baby's Trip to Bali" that I just might try out - using pastels.

Quilt made by my sister for my DD
[ATTACH=CONFIG]125696[/ATTACH]

My Mystery Quilt 2009
[ATTACH=CONFIG]125704[/ATTACH]

My DD's quilt hanging in her living room
[ATTACH=CONFIG]125724[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-125691.jpe   attachment-125699.jpe   attachment-125719.jpe