Old 02-21-2011, 10:36 AM
Lostn51
Banned

Originally Posted by BKrenning
My yardage is on wire shelves in my closet that I have folded around my 24" ruler to make my own mini bolts. It sounds like you're wanting to enclose yours somehow. I would suggest a large built in shelving unit/wardrobe. Mine is just stacked one on top the other but you could cut rigid cardboard or sign board into 6 x 24" strips, fold your yardage around it and stand it up like books on a bookshelf. Basically, you'd be building an oversize, enclosed bookshelf. If it's in an area where sunlight can't reach it--I'd put glass doors on it so I could see it all the time.
There will be windows but not many on the upstairs part where my quilting area will be. So I would love to keep the fabrics in view. I might have a closet but I might not depends on how much money this project is going to run me. I have a budget (yeah right) but I would like to take it as easy on my pocket as I can.

I am building the studio to mimic a Singer Shop store front including a huge back lit sign that is from 1948. Downstairs will have lots of windows to see in and the showroom floor is where my collection of vintage machines are going. The existing part of the studio will be my service/parts department so I will have a wood/glass case in front of the doorway going in that area like it would have been back in the day. I am adding a 2 car garage at the end of the studio that is not included in the sqft that will hold my Sedan Delivery (made up to look like a Singer service vehicle) and my machines that need to be restored.

But the most important part is my quilting area will be just for that, quilting!!!!