Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help the Brother Out!!! Need Sugestions on Organizing Fabric..... >

Help the Brother Out!!! Need Sugestions on Organizing Fabric.....

Help the Brother Out!!! Need Sugestions on Organizing Fabric.....

Old 04-20-2011, 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by Notimetoquilt
That's a good idea GAyle to store fabric in the garage but that wouldn't work here in Ottawa, Canada. I'd freeze my butt trying to find the one fabric I am searching. :-)

Do you have time to sew some of it? I understand about not being able to stop. I tell my kids that if I die before I use up all my fabric, they can sell it on Ebay. That's their inheritance. At least I didn't drink, smoke, gamble or take drugs with my money. They can recup it. But I plan to start using it all as soon as I retire next year. Right now, I do get some sewing done but not enough for my liking.
Here I can get in the garage any time. Not too cold.
Yea, buying fabric is my only vise too, no drinking, smoking gambling, shopping etc here. only fabric buying and my Fish tank.
I hope to quilt my job really soon. I plan on writing up a resignation letter maybe tomorrow night. I hope to give it to them Friday. I am willing to work until either August or mid October, if they need that time to find a replacement. But I am DONE!!!!
Old 04-20-2011, 08:40 PM

Have a 4x8 wk table to cut & sew on lots of space to double stack totes for large yardage, Closet doors off, built wood shelves, lined with flooring tiles, top shelf for big items, all could be covered with a pull down shade, for dust/sun. Good Luck

Gayle love those cabinets,
Could use all top cabinets, with them only being 12 inches deep, and split for a little counter space between, for books, binders, scraps.
Old 04-21-2011, 05:13 AM
Power Poster

You could also buy some of that adjustable industrial shelving. All you need is a hammer to adjust the shelf levels.
Old 04-21-2011, 06:55 AM
Banned

I found some cabinets I really liked that had glass in the doors so you could see the items inside. I want to be able to see what I have in the cabinet and it will add to the "Quilty" feeling of the room. As far as the fading issue I do not think I will have that because of the lighting and the lack of a lot of windows for the upstairs area.

Billy
Old 04-21-2011, 08:05 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Lostn51
I found some cabinets I really liked that had glass in the doors so you could see the items inside. I want to be able to see what I have in the cabinet and it will add to the "Quilty" feeling of the room. As far as the fading issue I do not think I will have that because of the lighting and the lack of a lot of windows for the upstairs area.

Billy
Surprisingly - I found fade marks on some of the blues - that I have stored in a closet with doors on it that are usually closed.
Old 04-21-2011, 08:09 AM
saf

Originally Posted by Lostn51
Originally Posted by mcdaniel023
I just purchased a vintage china cabinet. I plan to fold the fabric with the ruler method. That way I can look at the beauties and see easily what I have. Could you build a unit with glass doors?
I like this idea and I think I could pull off the glass doors. I am like you I want to look at the fabric and it will also lend a quilty feel to the decor. The only problem is I think I am going to out grow the area pretty fast. I am going to have a seating area and moving my 32" flat screen out to the quilting part of the studio. I want a dedicated ironing station that I can iron a king sized quilt and not have to move it around in 30 different directions. I will also have a dedicated cutting area and my quilting table will be able to be accessed from 3 sides and will be a lot bigger than the one I have now.

I am hoping that I can put a 144" x 72" quilting table in there and still have room. I am going to use my head this time and instead of putting the treadle on the centerline of the table it will be to the right hand side. That way I will have more room to put my quilt as I sew on it. And I will have more room to lay out the blocks and see if the design is going the way I want it to instead of taking up the living room floor. :lol: And I can baste the quilt on the table when I yank the machine out of its hole!!

But I really need to make use of the space and I want everything organized.

Billy
I'm drooling and DH is fidgetting nervously :lol: :lol: :lol:
Old 05-11-2011, 06:46 PM

I'm a little late on this but just some ideas. Storage is partially based on what you do. I quilt, paper piece, but I also sew garments and accessories (I LOVE my treadles!). I also have some 'unique' challenges. My sewing room is the upper floor of our garage with 8 windows (4 on each side) and constant access of birds, cats and dust/ sawdust from DH 'workshop'. But here is what I do.

Itty bitty pieces (paper piecing) I have small clear plastic bins- arrange by color.

Fat quarters/ quilt block sized pieces- are stacked on shelves with doors by color and I keep 'size tags' on them so I have some idea what i'm working with before i'm half way through a project and kicking myself for trying to match a fabric that I bought a year ago- doors keep the birds out.

Fabric that is 1/2 a yard or more are rolled on cardbord slats (just cut from boxes) with size tags, they are stored on a peg board with hooks that hold then ends of the cardboard, arranged by color and behind a clear plastic sheet- again birds

Specialty fabrics- velvet etc are kept in garment bags on rack build out in the corner from the pegboard with size tags.

I also have bobbin storage boxes at each machine with it's own bobbins and then a thread rack (fits in under the fat quarter shelves)

Current project is on a home made felt board on an apposing wall (yes it's HUGE). I can lay out an entire king size quilt and still have an extra 2 ft on each side for notes/ alterations etc. but it folds up to about the size of a small sewing table top if I need to. and it has a plastic drape cover (clear) that I can roll to the side.

The manequin holds a current dress in progress as needed and also has a clear cover.

Just ideas and how I do it :) all this actually doesn't take up as much space as you have.

Cheryl