Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help the Brother Out!!! Need Sugestions on Organizing Fabric..... >

Help the Brother Out!!! Need Sugestions on Organizing Fabric.....

Help the Brother Out!!! Need Sugestions on Organizing Fabric.....

Old 04-20-2011, 08:46 AM

Wow Gayle. I love your cabinets. You have about the same amount of fabric as I have.

May is coming soon. I became a grandma for the first time in June last year to a baby girl. My second daughter had a baby boy in March this year. 2 babies in one year.
Old 04-20-2011, 08:48 AM

Did you find these cabinets in the kitchen department at Home Depot?
Old 04-20-2011, 09:46 AM

First I want to say WOW to Gayle. That is a beautiful collection you have there. And I love your cabinets!
I mounted closet rod holders (the kind you can put a shelf on the top of), used a shower curtain rod and hung 6 over the rod sweater holders. Google "over the rod sweater holder" for a visual if my discription isn't clear. I stacked my fabric in it by color so I can see at a glance what I have. You could use the shoe size holders for FQs. If I'm going to be away from my sewing room for any length of time I hang a sheet over them to keep the dust off.
Old 04-20-2011, 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by Notimetoquilt
Did you find these cabinets in the kitchen department at Home Depot?
Yes, thank you. I am excited about my new grandson due here in 3 weeks or so.

I special ordered these from Home Depot in their Kitchen cabinet department. The are a little shallower than "normal" I didn't want the temptation to stack things 2 deep and not be able to see what I have
This cabinet is stuffed extremely full at the moment and I have 2 of those plastic 4-drawer carts full of FQ's and scraps. I also have, in the garage, about 9 or 10 of the 64 qt clear rubbermaid tubs packed full. (The garage door is just the the left of where the cabinets are, just afew steps away and they are near the door) My flannels are out there as well as most of my backing fabrics. I have more than enough fabric, but can't seem to stop myself from buying!!!
Old 04-20-2011, 12:42 PM

limited to 800sqr ft? thats as big as my whole house. i wish i had your sewing room
Old 04-20-2011, 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by lindy-2
limited to 800sqr ft? thats as big as my whole house. i wish i had your sewing room
Mine too!!
Old 04-20-2011, 06:09 PM

I would buy an old wardrobe and really convert it to hold bolt's of fabric! I love old pieces! However, I have a closet with sliding doors, bought the house with the sewing room already established, both good and bad. Now I am transferring my fabric to boards. Still very happy with it!
Old 04-20-2011, 07:14 PM

That's a good idea GAyle to store fabric in the garage but that wouldn't work here in Ottawa, Canada. I'd freeze my butt trying to find the one fabric I am searching. :-)

Do you have time to sew some of it? I understand about not being able to stop. I tell my kids that if I die before I use up all my fabric, they can sell it on Ebay. That's their inheritance. At least I didn't drink, smoke, gamble or take drugs with my money. They can recup it. But I plan to start using it all as soon as I retire next year. Right now, I do get some sewing done but not enough for my liking.
Old 04-20-2011, 08:01 PM
Power Poster

Are you planning to put storage under your cutting table/station?

You could put rollout cabinets under there.
Old 04-20-2011, 08:15 PM

There are as many ways to organize fabric as there are quilters. I think everyone does it differently. I have several large wooden cabinets with shelves and wooden doors so the light won't fade the fold lines of the fabric. I also have a steel kitchen cabinet with doors and two open shelves that have been put in a closet so I could close the folding door to keep out the light. Also have plastic totes, cardboard boxes, paper sacks, dishpans, tin popcorn cans, etc. that go under my sewing tables. I like to fold fabric so I can see what I have but don't want to do the bolt style as it takes up more room and I'm short of that anyway. Depends a lot on how much money you have to spend and how pretty you want it to look. It's really up to each individual person.