View Single Post
Old 01-15-2009, 07:44 AM
Cathe

I have done several retreats (as a teacher), and most have been enjoyable. Some of the things I liked/disliked:

Good sewing rooms with good lighting and adequate electricity. If you must run extension cords across the floor, duct tape them down.

Comfortable chairs

Enough irons - this has to be planned in advance, because not many facilities have adequate electrical capacity for several irons! Usually, the best bet is to run heavy duty extension cords from the kitchen, which is more likely to be wired for it.

Good lighting, even after it's dark outside.

Comfortable seating for those who are doing handwork, and good light for them. (Armchairs, couches rather than the more upright chairs used for machine work) They are usually more "chatty", so a conversational grouping is nice. Don't isolate them.

Parking or a drop off point close to the door, so women can upload all of their equipment without having to carry it a distance. If you have elderly ladies, make sure there is someone available to help them.

Supply lists and other paperwork provided well in advance.

Name tags!

Beverages available throughout the event.

Meals in a separate part of the facility, without having to drive somewhere to get them, and ready to eat so the ladies don't have to do the work. If it's a more casual group and you don't want to hire someone to cook, then plan a cold meal or one that is kept in a crockpot or something so there is minimal prep and cleanup time.

Good sleeping and bathroom facilities that are not too far from the quilting area. Clear information about which things the women will need to bring with them. (sheets? towels?)

A Sharpie marker so everyone can label their tools.

Enough cutting and sewing tables.

Space to lay out the quilt(s)- vertically or horizontally.

Time to visit, according to the desires of the attendees.

An attended or LOCKED space for the quilting area while the women sleep or are away from their machines.

Door prizes :mrgreen:

OKAY - here is one more. I hadn't thought of it in advance, and I was taken by surprise when the ladies of the quilt guild broke out bottles of liquor after dinner. (I am not talking about wine and beer!) It stressed me out to have them drinking and rotary cutting. If this is something you plan to do, set it up in a separate place AWAY from the sewing area. :roll:

I am sure I will come up with more...