View Single Post
Old 02-21-2011, 09:57 PM
starshine

I didn't see this when it was first posted. I too found it quite interesting. Hope your trip to Egypt was fun.
You did mention the cotton was about 60 inches wide, so if it is any consolation our cottons are 42-44 inches, except they are now producing quilt-backing fabric that is 108" but also more per yard.
A few thoughts to share..quilting that the pioneer women did was pretty much for practical necessity, and the women uses scraps that might be left over from making a shirt or dress, fabric salvaged from worn out clothing, and then the feed sacks.

Also we have lots of cottons to choose from because in the early 1980's quilting had a very big resurgence (sp?). When I saw a simple 8 diamond shape pattern for a tree skirt in a ladies mag. in 1978 there was a very limited selection of cotton fabric to choose from. Most clothing was cotton/poly blend, and when my son would get all itchy from it I had a hard time finding cotton clothes, and again 100% cotton to make shirts for him. I don't remember seeing Quilt shops like there are now. I'm sure there were some espcially in Amish communities. I think I'll start a post for that.
Since most of the women in Poland don't sew, it might be a part of the reason there is so little to choose from.
I do hope you post more about your adventures in Poland. Maybe you could start each one with Posts from Poland or something to clue us into your posts.