Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Local Fabric Shop in Poland >

Local Fabric Shop in Poland

Local Fabric Shop in Poland

Old 02-21-2011, 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by justflyingin
Originally Posted by Connie in CO
I just love your Avatar picture :thumbup: I hope you visit often or have visitors.
I wanted to mention that the off whites in the avatar is mostly from the used clothing stores--they are backings off of curtains that are lined or just sheets I found--I looked for all cotton, but some of it is a blend.

However, the "northern" fabrics are all from the states. I ordered them over a period of a couple of years off of Ebay and had anyone who came over (and asked me if there was anything they could bring me), to bring some fabric of animals from the north--whatever they could find locally...That particular time we had lots of visitors. Haven't had many lately at all.
Wish I could come visit. I'd bring my bag full of fabric for you!
Old 02-21-2011, 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by justflyingin
Originally Posted by Momof3Es
I found your posts very interesting thanks so much for sharing!! I do feel very lucky of the fabric choices that we have here! Happy New Year and I wish you many visitors and trips to the US in 2011!
I don't have any trips planned to the US in 2011, though my dh will go to the states in Sept. :) (Missions conf.)

I will go with the kids, though, possibly to Egypt here in Jan. We have to leave the country due to a problem with my temp. residency card and I have to leave before Jan. 26. You know what they sell in Egypt, right? Egyptian cotton!!!!!

(Believe it or not, you can get a charter flight to Egypt, plus hotel and food for about $350 per person for one week from Warsaw.)

Fun.

I'll take an extra bag if I go there...There is a huge bazaar in Cairo...

Hey...quilters look EVERYWHERE....
Wondering now if you did go to Egypt. Hoping you are back home safe.
Old 02-21-2011, 09:57 PM

I didn't see this when it was first posted. I too found it quite interesting. Hope your trip to Egypt was fun.
You did mention the cotton was about 60 inches wide, so if it is any consolation our cottons are 42-44 inches, except they are now producing quilt-backing fabric that is 108" but also more per yard.
A few thoughts to share..quilting that the pioneer women did was pretty much for practical necessity, and the women uses scraps that might be left over from making a shirt or dress, fabric salvaged from worn out clothing, and then the feed sacks.

Also we have lots of cottons to choose from because in the early 1980's quilting had a very big resurgence (sp?). When I saw a simple 8 diamond shape pattern for a tree skirt in a ladies mag. in 1978 there was a very limited selection of cotton fabric to choose from. Most clothing was cotton/poly blend, and when my son would get all itchy from it I had a hard time finding cotton clothes, and again 100% cotton to make shirts for him. I don't remember seeing Quilt shops like there are now. I'm sure there were some espcially in Amish communities. I think I'll start a post for that.
Since most of the women in Poland don't sew, it might be a part of the reason there is so little to choose from.
I do hope you post more about your adventures in Poland. Maybe you could start each one with Posts from Poland or something to clue us into your posts.
Old 02-22-2011, 05:19 PM

you should go, it is a very nice country, very hospitable people and they are up on 'technology', most people have cell phones, internet etc